Subscribe
  1. pennywise's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,437
    Jul 16, 2007, 2:38 AM - Becon light help #1

    Yeah, yeah, yeah I'm sure this has been posted at one time or another, however I didn't find the info "I" was looking for when I did a "search". Sooo help a brother out. I want to put a yellow light in my jet pack beacon that runs off a 9V batt. or equiv. and I'd like to get the parts from Radio Shack. I went to attempt this and was shot down from the sales clerk. Now I know this is possible, I just don't know how to do it, so if any of you Mcguiver's out there that know, please share.
  2. drokkul's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    987
    Jul 16, 2007, 6:51 AM - Re: Becon light help #2

    What did they not have that you could use?
  3. asok's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    2,707
    Jul 16, 2007, 8:35 AM - Re: Becon light help #3

    It depends on what type of RS you go to. The ones that are at the malls don't carry the parts that you need. They just carry stuff for cell phones and radio type stuff. I would suggest finding one that is in strip mall. Those usually carry items that you would be looking for. As far as what to use, good luck. I also am in the same boat. I just have not looked into it yet.
  4. I helped at SDCC '08 Fett Seven's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    408
    Jul 16, 2007, 9:21 PM - Re: Becon light help #4

    Here is what I put together.
    1.Two AA battery holder from Radio Shack, about $2.00.
    2. Off/On switch of your choice,(this one not from RS) $2.50.
    3. light, I used a Bend-a-Light, the flexible shaft and light only, from Sears
    $14.00.
    Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beacon 002.JPG 
Views:	229 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	18901  
  5. drokkul's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    987
    Jul 16, 2007, 9:48 PM - Re: Becon light help #5

    Thats a pretty neat setup!
  6. asok's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    2,707
    Jul 16, 2007, 9:50 PM - Re: Becon light help #6

    Very cool! How long do the AA's last?
  7. Admin Staff webchief's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,704
    Jul 16, 2007, 10:55 PM - Re: Becon light help #7

    That's a neat set up.
  8. drokkul's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    987
    Jul 16, 2007, 11:34 PM - Re: Becon light help #8

    Quote drokkul said: View Post
    Thats a pretty neat setup!
    Quote webchief said: View Post
    That's a neat set up.
    You know...copying someone is the highest form of flattery :o


  9. pennywise's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,437
    Jul 17, 2007, 12:15 AM - Re: Becon light help #9

    Quote drokkul said: View Post
    What did they not have that you could use?
    The sales guy was useless Fett Seven that's perfect Thanks!
  10. drokkul's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    987
    Jul 17, 2007, 2:28 AM - Re: Becon light help #10

    Yep. Its not like the old days. Most people working at Radio Slack nowadays will have no clue unless its about a cell phone. (and even then sometimes its iffy)
  11. Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,094
    Jul 17, 2007, 3:50 AM - Re: Becon light help #11

    HA! I lost all faith in radio shack when I was planning on buying a hoe theater system, the speaker hookups were really odd and the managers advice was to cut them and splice a longer line onto them and splice the ends back on to the wires. Sure it'd work but it'd also void any warranties it had. that flex light set up is pretty sweet. I'm not sure on this or not but is the stabilizer light supposed to blink?
  12. Admin Staff webchief's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,704
    Jul 17, 2007, 8:56 AM - Re: Becon light help #12

    Quote drokkul said: View Post
    You know...copying someone is the highest form of flattery :o


    HAHAHAHA... that's awesome! I didn't even realize I was copying you! HAHAHAHA... talk about subliminal stuff! HAHAHAHAAHA

    It IS neat though.
  13. Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    590
    Jul 17, 2007, 8:40 PM - Re: Becon light help #13

    Want to go real cheap?
    My beacon is resin so this is what i did.

    Buy a solitare mag light from wal mart $5.00
    It uses one AAA battery.
    Find a small diameter glue stick or clear acrylic rod.
    Measure diameters on both the mag light and the glue stick/acrylic rod.
    Carefully drill coresponding size holes in the beacon. Drill press highly recommended. Drill the larger hole just deep enough to hold the screw on bulb/reflector assembly inside the beacon. Cut glue stick/acrylic rod to needed length.

    I drilled a similar sized hole in the JP and used epoxy putty to hold the mag light body inside the JP. I have an access panel on the back to change batteries as needed.

    The beacon will be a press fit onto the mag light. To turn on just twist it.
    Not the best method but it works.

    Click to view slideshow.
  14. pennywise's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,437
    Jul 17, 2007, 9:01 PM - Re: Becon light help #14

    Quote zombierepellent said: View Post
    HA! I lost all faith in radio shack when I was planning on buying a hoe theater system, the speaker hookups were really odd and the managers advice was to cut them and splice a longer line onto them and splice the ends back on to the wires. Sure it'd work but it'd also void any warranties it had. that flex light set up is pretty sweet. I'm not sure on this or not but is the stabilizer light supposed to blink?
    No it doesn't blink in the movie, however I've seen a fellow garrison member of mine that has one and it looks really cool. Hey Fettofficer how's your set-up work?
  15. HMPOTC33 is offline HMPOTC33
    Jul 18, 2007, 9:29 AM - Re: Becon light help #15

    Pennywise, If you are trooping the book signing this weekend with the other garrison Fett's I'll be there Sat and show you the set-up I have in my ESB Fett if you'd like. It flashes
  16. pennywise's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,437
    Jul 19, 2007, 12:22 AM - Re: Becon light help #16

    Quote HMPOTC33 said: View Post
    Pennywise, If you are trooping the book signing this weekend with the other garrison Fett's I'll be there Sat and show you the set-up I have in my ESB Fett if you'd like. It flashes
    Ah man, I'm there on Sunday. However I get to be the Boba Fett that day! Thanks TDH:thumbup
  17. shabad's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    357
    Jul 23, 2007, 10:23 AM - Re: Becon light help #17

    I'm hoping for a wiring diagram for the beacon light too although a ready made and disassembled LED light may be the easiest way to go.
  18. I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,738
    Jul 23, 2007, 10:54 AM - Re: Becon light help #18

    Quote Jun Garros Fett said: View Post
    Want to go real cheap?
    My beacon is resin so this is what i did.

    Buy a solitare mag light from wal mart $5.00
    It uses one AAA battery.
    Find a small diameter glue stick or clear acrylic rod.
    Measure diameters on both the mag light and the glue stick/acrylic rod.
    Carefully drill coresponding size holes in the beacon. Drill press highly recommended. Drill the larger hole just deep enough to hold the screw on bulb/reflector assembly inside the beacon. Cut glue stick/acrylic rod to needed length.

    I drilled a similar sized hole in the JP and used epoxy putty to hold the mag light body inside the JP. I have an access panel on the back to change batteries as needed.

    The beacon will be a press fit onto the mag light. To turn on just twist it.
    Not the best method but it works.

    Click to view slideshow.
    That's pretty cool!

Similar Threads

  1. Besides the Beacon,what else has light?
    By texasfett in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Apr 26, 2006, 8:22 PM
  2. Light on Jet Pack
    By Kinjo in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jun 25, 2003, 4:17 PM