**UPDATE IN LATER POST**
I just finished my new, improved ammo belt. I carefully studied the MoM pics, as well as pics from both Chris (TK409) and Reidemiller's designs.
The base wood is cut from a Parsons table leg (it's 1 5/8" square, exactly the size I wanted). Since it's not Balsa wood, the pouches are pretty heavy. If I ever decide to do this again, I'm going to hollow out the blocks to make them lighter.
The vinyl is standard brown, bought from Jo-Ann's Fabrics. I tried to find a slightly darker color, and non-textured, but was unable to. When sewing the pouch flaps, it helped to use a Teflon presser foot on the sewing machine; else the vinyl sticks to the foot, causing the stitches to sew unevenly.
The color isn't that maroon, it is more of a chocolate brown color. I believe it's the same material used in Reid's design. It's hard to find vinyl in the correct color, I think. And yes, I'm still learning with the new digital camera!
After I finished, the pouches appear to be too tall. I'm not really sure. The wood blocks are 3 1/4" tall, and with the vinyl, are almost 3 1/2" total. The belt is 2 3/4" wide.
Comments are welcome!
NOTE: I have no intention to mass-produce these. This is simply my own project. I still believe Reidemiller is 'da man' when it comes to these belts!