Subscribe
    Apr 8, 2010, 3:08 AM - Base for boots? 10 bucks!! #1

Just thought i would share. Found these at Target a couple weeks ago on clearance for $10
    (originally $40). Thanks for looking!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boots1..JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	42784Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boots2..JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	42780Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boots3..JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	42782Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boots4..JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	42781Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boots5..JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	989.1 KB 
ID:	42779Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boots6..JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	904.5 KB 
ID:	42783
    Apr 8, 2010, 6:39 AM - Re: Base for boots? 10 bucks!! #2

Good find! To make them more accurate though you'd have to fill in the gap between the sole and heel. I used an old rubber sandal sole (shhhh... don't tell my wife! :0) I shaped it, Goop glued it and sealed it with silicone. Then I sprayed on plastidip and painted the sole the correct color.
    Apr 8, 2010, 8:36 AM - Re: Base for boots? 10 bucks!! #3

I bought the same shoes with the same intention. Yeah, besides some piping and paint, the only area that really needs work is the sole. Seemed like a pretty good inexpensive alternative to me.
    Apr 9, 2010, 1:30 AM - Re: Base for boots? 10 bucks!! #4

Thanks guys! Yeah, i did notice the soles weren't flat. I figured most everything else was pretty darn close, and thought about just wrapping something white around the bottom & hiding the seam behind the toe spikes for the illusion. Also, i think the elastic is a little wide at the bottom, but overall a satisfying starting point. I appreciate the info, thanks again!
    Apr 9, 2010, 1:55 AM - Re: Base for boots? 10 bucks!! #5

Quote clonecollector said: View Post
    I used an old rubber sandal sole (shhhh... don't tell my wife! :0)
    I hear ya on that one, bro! If your wife is anything like mine though, i don't think she'll miss one pair out of thousands
    Apr 9, 2010, 5:52 AM - Re: Base for boots? 10 bucks!! #6

This thread made me think of something, because I have the same problem with my boots (gap between sole and heel).... using some superglue, you could run some white fabric around the bottom edge of the shoe; it would wear down very fast (self weathering? lol) but could easily be replaced frequently.
    While on a budget, it might do the job
    Apr 9, 2010, 9:34 AM - Re: Base for boots? 10 bucks!! #7

Quote Nickpocalypse said: View Post
    This thread made me think of something, because I have the same problem with my boots (gap between sole and heel).... using some superglue, you could run some white fabric around the bottom edge of the shoe; it would wear down very fast (self weathering? lol) but could easily be replaced frequently.
    While on a budget, it might do the job
    Goop glue works wonders.... it flexes so the wedge you shape won't come out. Then use some silicone caulk to smooth it out. When it dries its still flexible. All you have to do then is paint the soles with LATEX paint. The latex flexes.
    Apr 9, 2010, 10:58 PM - Re: Base for boots? 10 bucks!! #8

Absolutely, man! these should be a great base. If you look on TK409's website, he has a tutorial on how to make some awesome Boba boots from a pair of leather boots almost exactly like those!

A word of advice, thought; when you paint them, use either acylic or latex based brush-on paint. spraypaint tends to crack.
    good luck!
  9. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Apr 10, 2010, 10:33 PM - Re: Base for boots? 10 bucks!! #9

anyone ever "resole" a pair of boots like that? i know that construction workers, farmers, and the like, love thier boots, and the soles go out on them sooner than the rest of the boot...is it possible to find a flat sole from another set of shoes/boots and switch them out? have no clue what it would cost, but worth checking into maybe...??

one thing with the piping, not sure what tk409 uses in his tutorial for attaching the piping, but i used superglue on my first set of boots to set the piping, and after walking in them for a few minutes, it popped right off...if you are able to take the sole off and switch it out, i would try to sew in the piping before putting the new sole on...the cobbler may have a machine to do the piping for you as well...cheers!

D
    Apr 11, 2010, 5:39 PM - Re: Base for boots? 10 bucks!! #10

Quote FettDad said: View Post
    one thing with the piping, not sure what tk409 uses in his tutorial for attaching the piping, but i used superglue on my first set of boots to set the piping, and after walking in them for a few minutes, it popped right off...if you are able to take the sole off and switch it out, i would try to sew in the piping before putting the new sole on...the cobbler may have a machine to do the piping for you as well...cheers!

D
    Goop glue flexes nicely! ... I've recomended that stuff so much to people on this board I think GOOP should make me their spokesperson!
    Apr 11, 2010, 7:15 PM - Re: Base for boots? 10 bucks!! #11

If only these had a more squared toe I'd snag 'em up!
    Apr 11, 2010, 9:30 PM - Re: Base for boots? 10 bucks!! #12

My Target didn't have them. =(
    Apr 12, 2010, 8:29 AM - Re: Base for boots? 10 bucks!! #13

These might be a little hard to find now. The last couple of targets I was at didn't have any left.
    Apr 12, 2010, 5:44 PM - Re: Base for boots? 10 bucks!! #14

I dont want to start a new topic...

http://www.wellingtonsurplus.com.au/...TYLE+804-55505

would be 60 bucks i guess...
    Apr 12, 2010, 6:42 PM - Re: Base for boots? 10 bucks!! #15

Quote Matty Matt said: View Post
    These might be a little hard to find now. The last couple of targets I was at didn't have any left.
    yeah . . . I tried to get this up as quick as i could, but my computer was down. The next time i went back, they were out; went back again today & the whole shoe area was redesigned. I just checked online and they still seem to be available there, but for 14 bucks. Thanks!