Back Plate From Rafal Fett Template

Back Plate From Rafal Fett Template

I used Rafal Fett's template. I had some nice sized, scrap, 3/32 of an inch thick styrene sheet I bought for little or nothing from a sign shop, but I had to join two pieces together. I used a wood burning tool to score the lines and make those bends. For the shoulders, I simply used a blow dryer. I then build a jig from scrap wood, screwed it down, and added shims and more heat to get the shape comfortable. I partially fiber glassed the inside, avoiding all the screws. When it was cured, I removed the screws and added the final fiberglass layer. It did not bond as well as expected, so I shot in super glue along the edges. It needed a little Bondo asd glazing putty. WOF's template in at least to inches longer and 2 inches wider at the bottom. I think Rafal Fett's is more accurateI will update as I go.Thanks Rafal Fett. The helmet is based on his templates too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails backplateinside-jpg   backplateback-jpg   glassed-jpg  

styreneback-jpg   fetthelmet-jpg  
    Last edited by SPY007; May 29, 2013 at 10:15 PM.

From
    TEXAS

Back Plate From Rafel Fett Template

007- Nice work! I think I'm going to do the same with my backplate. I cut mine from Sinatra and heated and bent all the curves and straights. Never crossed my mind to reinforce with fiberglass.... Can't believe I didn't think of that! Thanks for sharing!
    Quote Quote Posted from iOS app

Re: Back Plate From Rafal Fett Template

dechels:
    Happy to share. I get a lot of ideas on the site, but like to offer alternatives. I did my gauntlets, knees, cod piece. jet pack and helmet all fiberglass. If I were to do any parts again, I would use sheet plastic and reinforce with fiberglass.

From
    Galati, Romania

Wow! It looks excellent, especially that this is the first time I see my armor templates (at least the back plate) come to life. Everything looks great, but as we discussed already, I think you did the shoulder tabs too long. But you can always cut down the extra if needed...

Keep up the great work!

From
    Ireland

That's lookin cool , nicely done!!

From
    Fremont, CA

Sweet!! looking good Mr.

From
    Albuquerque

Looks great man! Rafa's templates are awesome

From
    Galati, Romania

redkraytdragon said: View Post
    Looks great man! Rafa's templates are awesome
    Thanks, Will! I would love to see (in the near future) some armor made by you using my templates.

Rafal Fett:

I had to add the extra tab length out of necessity. They were too short for my build. When I attach the collar plate, it all fits very nice.

SPY007

From
    Galati, Romania

SPY007 said: View Post
    Rafal Fett:

I had to add the extra tab length out of necessity. They were too short for my build. When I attach the collar plate, it all fits very nice.

SPY007
    I understand! Could you post some images of a quick test fit with the back and collar plates?

From
    Albuquerque

RafalFett said: View Post
    Thanks, Will! I would love to see (in the near future) some armor made by you using my templates.
    You can plan on it brother! It might be a while yet cause I wanna finish knocking out the GM first but it's definitely on my 'to do' list

From
    Galati, Romania

redkraytdragon said: View Post
    You can plan on it brother! It might be a while yet cause I wanna finish knocking out the GM first but it's definitely on my 'to do' list
    Good to hear this from you! Can't wait to see that day!

Rafal Fett, may be a few before I can post a pic.

From
    Ferndale, MI

This is awesome! The helmet looks great too!

Thanks Jones. Rafal Fett, here is the requested test fit. I may have to make a more roomy collar. It was digging into my wind pipe. I wear a "boys husky" size. The shirt and neck seal are not part of my Boba Fett.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails testfit3-jpg   testfit2-jpg   testfit1-jpg  

From
    Adelaide, Australia

I have a similar body type to you had the same issue around the neck. Im pretty sure I used Rafal's templates also. I solved this by raising the position of the back armour just a bit and arching the shoulder tabs a little more forward. It raised the two vents a little higher but I have yet to cut those out so I can just reposition them later when I complete my jetpack. I know it might be redundant me saying this since you have already painted it. But anyway...I like your progress.

From
    Galati, Romania

Well, it looks like I imagined: the collar is in the correct place, but the back plate is hanging too low, and this is the result of the 'extra' flaps added by you. The back plate neck area must sit above and not below the collar plate:

collar-back-plate-positions-jpg

You might try to reshape the back plate shoulder flaps to their original form, but being this a risky step, it totally depends on you.

Rafal Fett:
    I don't doubt you expertise and brilliant work. I may have some of the various curves off, but as I was shaping the back plate, I had to lower it, otherwise it was digging into the back of my neck. I actually added two extra inches to the tabs. I have a bigger build than a young Jeremy Bulloch. It may need some work, but am happy with it. Thank you again for sharing your templates.