Sep 26, 2007, 9:18 AM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #27

umm....I think i will use this method to attach my brand *NEW* BM armour
    Sep 26, 2007, 11:50 AM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #28

What sort of epoxy filler did you use?
  4. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Sep 26, 2007, 3:47 PM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #29

I have a question.

Do you find that the vest material holds up ok to the stress of the eyelets?

Do you think that a reinforcement in the area of the eyelet would be helpful?

Could you please send a diagram to me of where you place the eyelets.

I am considering adding reinforcement to my vests, before they are sewn together.

Do you think that the location of the eyelets would be about the same for everyone?

What I am think of is placing a reinforcing patch, on the inside of the vest, that would be under the locations of where the eyelet will go.

So, if the eyelet will be withing a 2 inch radius, I could add this to the vest and the actual eyelet, could be adjusted to the individual the the reinforcing fabric would still be in a good place to do the job.

Everyone........please let me know your opinions.

Thanks!
    Sep 26, 2007, 4:17 PM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #30

Quote Aaron said: View Post
    What sort of epoxy filler did you use?
    I use an automotive epoxy filler.

DAZ
    Sep 26, 2007, 4:20 PM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #31

The jacket is certainly strong emough to hold the armour, I didn't need to reinforce at all.

You can see where I attached the bolts on my photos, they are indicated by the holes on the template armour. For the shoulders I used one on each side and one at the top (3 for each).

I think that the location of the eyelets will work for all makes of armour.

Hope this helps
    DAZ

Quote LadySewforus said: View Post
    I have a question.

Do you find that the vest material holds up ok to the stress of the eyelets?

Do you think that a reinforcement in the area of the eyelet would be helpful?

Could you please send a diagram to me of where you place the eyelets.

I am considering adding reinforcement to my vests, before they are sewn together.

Do you think that the location of the eyelets would be about the same for everyone?

What I am think of is placing a reinforcing patch, on the inside of the vest, that would be under the locations of where the eyelet will go.

So, if the eyelet will be withing a 2 inch radius, I could add this to the vest and the actual eyelet, could be adjusted to the individual the the reinforcing fabric would still be in a good place to do the job.

Everyone........please let me know your opinions.

Thanks!
  7. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Sep 26, 2007, 4:56 PM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #32

It sounds like reinforcement would not be needed.

Thanks!
    Sep 27, 2007, 11:50 AM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #33

Quote bobamaker said: View Post
    I use an automotive epoxy filler.

DAZ
    Daz,

what brand did you use? I was thinking of using 2 part epoxy resins but i am sure they won't be strong enough.
    Dec 1, 2007, 7:06 AM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #34

I would suggest Isopon P38, ive used it in the past alot, great stuff, stinks though
  10. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Dec 1, 2007, 7:45 AM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #35

What about using JB Weld?
    Mar 24, 2008, 7:42 PM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #36

Help ,
    where can I find the eyelets at ? I've looked everywhere and all the ones I can find are too large for the job.....
    Mar 24, 2008, 7:44 PM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #37

I got mine at Jo-Anne's
    Mar 24, 2008, 9:46 PM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #38

Quote thundrkiss said: View Post
    Help ,
    where can I find the eyelets at ? I've looked everywhere and all the ones I can find are too large for the job.....

If they haven't stopped carrying fabric and crafts (like many around the country have) your local Wal*Mart should have the right sized eyelets. If not, they may have what you need at a camping supply, as they are often used to repair tents.
  14. Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Mar 24, 2008, 10:25 PM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #39

I find them at the hardware store
    Mar 26, 2008, 12:06 AM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #40

I used a similar method on my first set of armor. I put the bolts on first, though, and chalked the tips to mark the fabric while the vest was on my mannquin. I think I did one piece at a time to ensure the chalk didn't come off in the handling. It's been years, so my memory is a little fuzzy on that.

On the inside of the vest, I had a plastic sheet insert that basically acted as a big washer with holes for all the bolts. The plastic sections, cut to fit each section of armor, sandwiched the vest.

On the new setup I'm working on, I was hoping to try the craft push pins, with the metal pinch clip on the other side (not sure of the exact name for those). Wondering how well they will hold up the weight of fiberglass armor, but I have a bunch of them. They would elimate some of the work if all you have to do is push the pins through the fabric, and it would also allow for ease in upgrading or changing armor while keeping the vest intact. Don't know if this will work or not, but I'll be trying it soon.
    Mar 26, 2008, 12:21 AM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #41

Quote Slave I said: View Post
    On the new setup I'm working on, I was hoping to try the craft push pins, with the metal pinch clip on the other side (not sure of the exact name for those). Wondering how well they will hold up the weight of fiberglass armor, but I have a bunch of them. They would elimate some of the work if all you have to do is push the pins through the fabric, and it would also allow for ease in upgrading or changing armor while keeping the vest intact. Don't know if this will work or not, but I'll be trying it soon.

that's an interesting idea... wouldn't the backers for those pins be sort of uncomfortable though?
    Mar 26, 2008, 12:54 PM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #42

I used a similar method on my first set of armor. I put the bolts on first, though, and chalked the tips to mark the fabric while the vest was on my mannquin. I think I did one piece at a time to ensure the chalk didn't come off in the handling. It's been years, so my memory is a little fuzzy on that.

On the inside of the vest, I had a plastic sheet insert that basically acted as a big washer with holes for all the bolts. The plastic sections, cut to fit each section of armor, sandwiched the vest.

Nice avatar
    Mar 26, 2008, 3:18 PM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #43

Quote HeadlessHunter said: View Post
    Nice avatar
    Thanks. I had been using mine at the RPF for a while, and saw you had utilized the same Insider pic. Call me crazy, but I really like that variation!
    Mar 26, 2008, 3:22 PM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #44

Quote tk7602 said: View Post
    that's an interesting idea... wouldn't the backers for those pins be sort of uncomfortable though?
    Shouldn't be. They're made for you to make your own badges and things anyway. You'd also have the jumpsuit between you and the backing clasps. Actually, they should be smaller than the nuts for he bolts used above.

My only concern is if they will hold up the weight of fiberglass armor. I plan to use enough to do the job, so I'm hoping they hold up. Should know shortly.
    Mar 27, 2008, 6:56 PM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #45

Tried out the clips I mentioned previously and I'm happy to say they work.

Used an old throw off shoulder bell I don't plan to use for good. I wanted to see if it would work logisitically, so as a test, I used kneadable plumber's putty rather than my affixing of choice (Gorilla Glue). It held fine.

When I get ready to do the real armor, I will fix the flat headed tack part to the armor with Gorilla Glue and let it dry overnight.

The great plus of these clips is that they are lightweight. As with backpackers where every ounce counts, I think this would be a great bonus.

I am using this on a static mannequin, so I'd suggest trying it out for yourself before deciding which way you want to go. If you're really rough on your armor, you might not want to go this route.

Anyway, you can get these clips in the jewelery section of your local Craft's 2000 or other craft store. I got about three packs for a few bucks. This particturlar brand was Darice Jewelry Designer, and they are brass tie tacks w/clutch (nickle plated).

Here are some pics so you get a better idea of how this works . . .

21. Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Mar 30, 2008, 12:44 AM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #46

i dont think he actually drilled holes the armor just his copies the real set the bolts are just glued

Quote Dark Amon said: View Post
    good job Daz !
    i search how i fix my bobamaker armor on my flak jacket now i see the answer ! but can i fix the bolt without maked a hole ?
    May 14, 2008, 4:32 AM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #47

Where would a person in Australia find these types of eyelets... the only ones we have over here in the 'fabric specialty stores' I can guarantee will slice straight through the Tackle Twill on the outside of my vest... :S
  23. Member Since
    Jul 2008
    Jul 11, 2008, 9:31 PM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #48

I was wondering how the chest armor fitted on ans I don't like using Velcro to much
    it has a nasty habit of coming off,
    Cheers for that Info Daz Its very helpful to know

Question : what are the chances of you selling a flak jacket already marked up so some one can add Armor
    Dec 17, 2008, 10:09 PM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #49

Tried out the clips I mentioned previously and I'm

The butterfly clutches I think will work fine for a little while, but they wear out. I got tired of getting stuck by the pins in my uniform when they fall off.. I found these and I'm still using the same ones 2 years later w/ no signs of them wearing out. They are kind of expensive, but a much better alternative to the brass clutches.

http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...og&style=NT002

Sorry for digging up the old thread, but it was a good one.
    Last edited by SlabFett; Dec 17, 2008 at 10:17 PM.
    Dec 23, 2008, 7:40 PM - Re: Attaching Armour : Tutorial #50

JB-Weld a 2" to 3" metal disk to the nut. this way it's comfortable and the armor rest a half inch from your chest? my 3 centavos