Attaching Armor

Attaching Armor

Just wondering what is the best way to attach armor to the vest is? (where do u get said Vest *jango type* by the way? lol) Bolts? somethin else? i have no clue ^^ im new to this stuff... so sorry if i have a bunch of stoopid questions. i went threw a couple of the forums to make sure this wasnt on there.. an it wasnt ^_^ so i thought i'd ask! thanks

From
    Westchester County, NY

Re: Attaching Armor

Hiya Skeeter,

I am going with Velcro sewn onto the vest and the other half glued to the armor. I figure, if it gets snagged on something or someone, the velcro will just detach and not rip the vest fabric.

Good Luck!

Well lets see about 4 choices, glue, magnets ,or the most famous methods ''snaps or velcro''.

I used velcro at the start and it was giving way at some of the stress points. (Top of belly piece, bottom tips of chest pcs.) Then I installed snaps which worked like a charm and now finally I have a mix of the two.

thank ya'll ^_^ helps me out alot! ^_^ soon as i get da stuff, i'll begin makin it. ^_^ post some pics wiff da whole progress thing too! again thank you VERY much!

I went with velcro, but don't just get the everyday stuff get industrial strength velcro, the stuff they use on tents etc.
    MUCH better adhesion

From
    Mosfellsbaer Iceland

I went with bolts. Works fine.

From
    Moesko Island

Surprisingly there is not a single piece of velcro on the real jango costume for example.

The chest and the back armor were permanently attached/glued on the vest !

What kind of glue works best?

From
    Moesko Island

Lodril wrote:

What kind of glue works best?
    That's the problem. I have no idea!

From
    manchester, UK

I tried the velcro route, not too bad but theres always the worry something may fall off, so I attached my new armour using bolts.
    Works a treat
    Jon

I used snaps for my armour.I swear by them.

From
    SW Minnesota, very small town

I'm convinced that snaps are the way to go. I've used velcro and the bolt method in the past, but I really like the snap method. if you use the search you should be able to find a few tutorials on this. JMP and TK409 each have tutorials on the subject I believe
    Damian

From
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Yep...snaps are definitely the way to go. The attachment is secure but comes off to wash the vest. I tried velcro first and it didn't really matter how much I added or where it still stuck out funny in places when I sat down, for example. Now everything sits nice and flat. I can tell in pictures of me which version of attachment I was using at the time because of the way the armor sits. Big improvement with the snaps. Also....I found the velcro got caught on everything...especially those dang wookie braids. And it had a tendency to snag the satin on my vest once in awhile. No velcro for me on the new gear that I'm working on.

From
    Corrimal, New South Wales, Australia, Australia

has anyone tried to use silicone glue, the type that you put in a calking gun, the stuff they stick fish tanks together with, that would work. you just squezze the amount you need and smeer it all over the back of the armour and on a patch on the vest, thenplace the armour onto the vest, and press the vest material against the armour with pressure, then leave to dry. just a thought

From
    Australia

Snaps! Sew one side to the vest and glue the other side to the armor.

From
    The Netherlands

I used buttons erm I dont know the name for it ''press buttons''??

It works great!!

I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    From
    California USA

The less velcro the better. Those wookie scalps get pulled and snagged by anything velcro.

From
    Ohio

Can someone pls send me a tutorial on how to do the bolt process? I REALLY want to use bolts, but need someone to tell me how, pictures would be great also.

I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    From
    Yadkinville NC

From
    Omaha, NE

I recently tried a couple different methods and ended up nearly shredding my flak vest in the process.

First i tried just the velcro. After washing and dying my vest to get the color right (still not happy with it...too yellowish) the velcro started coming off. I used 2 ton epoxy on the velcro and slapped it on the armor. The epoxy wouldnt adhere to the velcro strips, so they ripped right off the armor. I ended up using JB Weld to keep the velcro on the armor.

I then tried snaps. I bought the snap kit (the one with the 2 piece snaps, the little platform and punch). I ended up either making the hole too big and the snap wouldnt stay or the snap wouldnt stick to the armor. I scrapped the snaps because I couldnt get them to work.

I then went with the Boba Maker tutorial and used bolts. I bought a bunch of eyelets and poked holes all over the vest. I used construction adhesive and glued the bolts to the armor. I screwed up a bunch of the eyelets and made the holes too big, so I had to sew them in place.

Overall, I determined I can't sew or do anything fabric related.

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

I also vote for the Snap Method. I had velcro in the past, and I'm extremely happy with snaps.

From
    Norwich UK

i have tried the snaps method and the velcro method, but i am completely converted by Bobamakers bolt method. its the way forward

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=20322