Subscribe
    Feb 27, 2005, 9:48 PM - Armor Vest Back Detail? #1

In my quest (read: obsession) to create the most accurate armor vest pattern, I was studying some pics from the Reference CD. Notice below that the vest in the MoM pic seems to have been intentionally ripped to accomodate the pack harness.

Any ideas as to what made the prop guys do this?

Also...most vest patterns, including mine, have a small semi-circle cutout at the bottom for the pack attachment area, but looking at the MoM pic, it seems the entire lower area of the back is curved to allow the attachment. Does anyone else see this?

Does anyone have better shots of the vest (minus the pack) from behind?
    Last edited by batninja; Feb 27, 2005 at 9:54 PM.
    Feb 27, 2005, 10:03 PM - Re: Armor Vest Back Detail? #2

they probably made the holes too high at first for that metal bar runing below it
    Feb 27, 2005, 10:08 PM - Re: Armor Vest Back Detail? #3

But this is supposed to be a tried-and-true screen-worn costume. They shouldn't have to rip anything up to get it to fit.

Which came first, by the way? AoSW or MoM? I saw the MoM tour in the Smithsonian in January 1998 (I think).

I appreciate the input, though... Thanks, BFS_1!
    Feb 28, 2005, 1:27 AM - Re: Armor Vest Back Detail? #4

Never can tell, the museum might have done it to fit the manniquin.
    Feb 28, 2005, 6:54 AM - Re: Armor Vest Back Detail? #5

youd be supprized what some people do to save some cash. espesialy scence ROTJ was already going over buget
    Feb 28, 2005, 1:05 PM - Re: Armor Vest Back Detail? #6

I'd be curious to see if the AOSW suit has tears. There are several possible explanations for tear, but I don't think budget is one of them. At least four complete suits were already finished prior to ESB.

However, there a couple slightly different versions of the backpack frame. It could have been a fitting issue with that frame. It could also be just a sloppy piece together by ILM.
    Feb 28, 2005, 1:45 PM - Re: Armor Vest Back Detail? #7

I was just using that excuse as an example. but I dont think they would need to put all the detail into a part of the vest that would not be seen on the film
    Feb 28, 2005, 2:11 PM - Re: Armor Vest Back Detail? #8

i agree, i dotn think ilm thought people would poke there cam almost in bobas ass to see teh stichin work on a part of teh suit only kenny baker can see...
    Feb 28, 2005, 2:40 PM - Re: Armor Vest Back Detail? #9

I can't help but think that maybe the horizontal bar was added to the frame as an afterthought to make the jet pack stand up more vertically and rest higher up on the back. Maybe the vest was already made and the modification was a hasty one, thus would explain the tears. This is all speculation but we all know how much those jet packs sag and how difficult it is to make the harness work against gravity. ??
    Feb 28, 2005, 7:00 PM - Re: Armor Vest Back Detail? #10

Quote Rednave said:
    I can't help but think that maybe the horizontal bar was added to the frame as an afterthought to make the jet pack stand up more vertically and rest higher up on the back. Maybe the vest was already made and the modification was a hasty one, thus would explain the tears. This is all speculation but we all know how much those jet packs sag and how difficult it is to make the harness work against gravity. ??

That could very well be it. I remember reading an interview with Jeremy Bulloch where he was talking about how uncomfortable it was to wear the costume for RotJ. He said that when he would go back to the hotel at night he would look like he had been 'collared' by the neck armor being pulled back by the weight of the jet pack. He said that ILM improvised a harness that helped stabilize the pack and kept the collar armor from cutting into his neck.
    Mar 1, 2005, 3:23 AM - Re: Armor Vest Back Detail? #11

Is the MoM backpack harness pictured, an existing one that can be bought?

Mar 1, 2005, 9:07 AM - Re: Armor Vest Back Detail? #12

Kind of looks like a scott air pack that firefighters use. But I really cant tell from that angle.
    Mar 1, 2005, 12:43 PM - Re: Armor Vest Back Detail? #13

Yep, its been identified as an old SCBA harness.

I believe Fettish found one very similar if not exact. I'm looking all over for an old one like in this photo, but haven't had any luck.
    Mar 1, 2005, 1:46 PM - Re: Armor Vest Back Detail? #14

I did some extensive research on this about a year ago. No one could ever actually determine whether it was SCBA or SCUBA. No model of either type of pack was ever matched up exactly to what we know of the JP harness. The harness has elements of an SCBA pack, but also shares many details of the really old SCUBA packs.
    Mar 1, 2005, 2:01 PM - Re: Armor Vest Back Detail? #15

I think the bar was added to accomodate the hooks put on the Harness. The SCBA pack was modified to accept the pack. I think the tears were a result of the vest riding up and the holes made for the bar tearing. Depending on the order the suit was made (cloth parts, then hard ones) they may have had to make some on the spot alterations to the vest when they put everything together and may have just cut two slits in the back for the bar. Over the years it just tore more and more.
    Mar 1, 2005, 5:51 PM - Re: Armor Vest Back Detail? #16

With the help of Phantom Fett's possible ID on the frame, RS made an amazing frame by modding an exsisting SCBA. It's probably the closest thing in look and function to what I've seen in the exhibit and costume photos.

Also, if my memory is correct, I think RS incorporated the rip on vest. Though, he can probably chime in to confirm that.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; Mar 1, 2005 at 5:57 PM.
  17. Member Since
    Jul 2002
    Mar 1, 2005, 7:20 PM - Re: Armor Vest Back Detail? #17

Quote fettcicle said:
    I think the bar was added to accomodate the hooks put on the Harness. The SCBA pack was modified to accept the pack. I think the tears were a result of the vest riding up and the holes made for the bar tearing. Depending on the order the suit was made (cloth parts, then hard ones) they may have had to make some on the spot alterations to the vest when they put everything together and may have just cut two slits in the back for the bar. Over the years it just tore more and more.
    This sounds like the most reasonable to me. After so much time with all the weight of the jet pack putting stress on them, the seams must have ripped and the rest just happened from there. It almost looks to me like you can see the seams at the very top of the rips, but I can't really tell.