Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Armor Size ComparisionsSubscribe
    Dec 21, 2015, 5:35 AM - Armor Size Comparisions #1

I'll probably get more feedback in a new thread. I'm looking for the smallest armour there is. I'm 5'6" and 130lbs, leaving me pretty small. I had a search through the boards but I can't find anything definitive on a sizing order. One of the RKD versions is made for larger people, another isn't. Bobamaker is apparently smallish, but I'd like to know out of all the vendors, who makes the smallest set of armor?
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    Dec 21, 2015, 11:33 AM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #2

I am 5'10 190 and I wear Bobamaker. I agree it is a bit smaller than RKD but it would probably still swallow you.

I would recommend cutting your own. I don't know of any vendors who would fit you off the rack. If you are going to have to cut it down anyways you might as well start from the beginning with the process.
  4. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Dec 21, 2015, 12:38 PM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #3

While we are on the subject: I'm 5'10 and 165 lb, 40" chest.

Should Bobamaker and RKD both be a similar fit for me?

Thank you!
    Dec 21, 2015, 3:57 PM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #4

I think this:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/b...=armor+compare

was the definitive thread, but it seems most of the pics have recently fallen off -- I remember looking at them last spring... That's a great tragedy, but maybe someone with examples could post new pics including standard rulers, so even without direct comparisons we'd be able to get a good feel for the different sizes of armor, as well as the different details of each kit.

For anyone interested, I have the RKD V2 armor, and being ~5' 11" ~160 lbs. I find it fits my frame just fine, and I am very happy with the quality and details.

Cheers!
    Dec 21, 2015, 4:00 PM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #5

I have Boba Makers V3 armor here now ( just got it) .. I can give you rough measurements incase you want to make a quick Template and put it on your chest ( for sizing reference /not production reasons )
    Dec 21, 2015, 4:48 PM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #6

So as you can see a common thread forming..........if you are about 5'10 to 6'1 with an athletic to thin build most of these makers are going to fit you. If you are outside of that then you may need to adjust.
    Dec 21, 2015, 5:34 PM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #7

I cut my own out of sintra for my v1 build using Raf's templates, I scaled them down 90% to get them fitting as in this photo:
    10422116_10153107230644039_7227535958721073207_n-jpg

Does that mean I'll have to scratchbuild again for v2? I was hoping to spend some money.
    Dec 21, 2015, 8:21 PM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #8

Those certainly don't look too bad at all. I would say scratch build V2 and go for sharper lines and more overall accuracy on the shape. But you certainly have the ability to do it............
    Dec 22, 2015, 5:58 AM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #9

It's the cod and back piece that were a nightmare to do. Never did get the back piece looking right. And trying to bend the sintra chest plates in two directions proved impossible. Do you think the kneepads are buyable in my position? Maybe codpiece/kidney if I trim the adjoining waist?
    Dec 22, 2015, 11:01 AM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #10

Knees and back should be ok to buy. There were some makers who made smaller backs, but right off the top of my head I can't think of them. I think the cod and kidney would fall under the same umbrella. The back, cod and kidneys are covered or partially covered when you are trooping. The biggest key is always going to be the chest and helmet. That is what people tend to focus on and it needs to be as close to perfect size as possible.
    Dec 22, 2015, 2:12 PM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #11

I know Cruzer makes 3 different sizes of Jango knee armor. Check with him he might do the same for Boba knees.
    Dec 22, 2015, 2:20 PM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #12

If you can find a set of FP V4, that is pretty small as it was scaled to the sideshow statue. that is the smallest armor i know of. As far as i know he no longer makes that though so you'd need to find it second hand. Short of that, cutting your own may be the way to go as mentioned previously.
    Dec 22, 2015, 6:58 PM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #13

Thanks, good to know. Hopefully I can keep bumping the cargo hold for FP armour while I slowly put this together. If manage to find an FP v4 and it's too big or if I use Bobamaker armour, is there anything stopping me from trimming the edges to size? Wondering if there's a return edge on the armour I need to contend with or if they're the same thickness all the way through.
    Dec 22, 2015, 7:05 PM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #14

There should be roughly 1/8" return edge on the armor pieces. Maybe you could add it back in working carefully with a hear gun or soldering iron?
    Dec 22, 2015, 7:10 PM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #15

Get a modeling iron.
    Dec 22, 2015, 7:11 PM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #16

uploadfromtaptalk1450829479720-jpg one of these
    Dec 22, 2015, 7:13 PM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #17

yea you can put the return edge back on with the modeling iron, but it is a pain in the butt to do honestly lol.
    Dec 22, 2015, 8:55 PM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #18

Layering up the edges with a border of sintra to the required thickness and bondoing the seams may be a little easier.
    Dec 24, 2015, 5:47 PM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #19

The more I look at the GMH, particularly from the side, the more I don't like the shape of it. Am I crazy? Does anyone know how much is in the size between the GMH and Bobamaker helmets? They look pretty close...

Also, gauntlets and jet packs. What are the size differences there between vendors?
    Dec 24, 2015, 6:04 PM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #20

GMH and Bobamaker helmets are very close in size.
    Dec 24, 2015, 6:29 PM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #21

The GMH is a pretty accurate lid, shape wise IMO. It's like a 4th(?) generation cast so it's gone thru size loss due to molding materials curing properties(which leads to shrinkage, based on the material)
    Considering that BM had his hands on a Lee Malone cast, id say he drew some elements of it into his cast. The GMH shares lineage with the LM lid from my understanding of the murky details.
    Dec 25, 2015, 7:10 PM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #22

When they're completed, GMHs usually look fine. When they're raw casts, they look a little squished to me. May just be the angle of photos tbh.
  24. Formerly saint nasty Mike M.'s Avatar
    Dec 27, 2015, 5:34 AM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #23

Quote remo032 said: View Post
    I know Cruzer makes 3 different sizes of Jango knee armor. Check with him he might do the same for Boba knees.
    when did this happen?
    Dec 27, 2015, 6:22 AM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #24

Quote Jesuit24 said: View Post
    The more I look at the GMH, particularly from the side, the more I don't like the shape of it. Am I crazy? Does anyone know how much is in the size between the GMH and Bobamaker helmets? They look pretty close...

Also, gauntlets and jet packs. What are the size differences there between vendors?
    Quote syllander said: View Post
    The GMH is a pretty accurate lid, shape wise IMO. It's like a 4th(?) generation cast so it's gone thru size loss due to molding materials curing properties(which leads to shrinkage, based on the material)
    Considering that BM had his hands on a Lee Malone cast, id say he drew some elements of it into his cast. The GMH shares lineage with the LM lid from my understanding of the murky details.
    Quote Jesuit24 said: View Post
    When they're completed, GMHs usually look fine. When they're raw casts, they look a little squished to me. May just be the angle of photos tbh.
    I think FP did an amazing job in the GMH restoration as virtually every aspect of it needed some sort of alteration but there were some things it was simply impossible for him to be able to sort because his restoration could only be as promising as the source cast.

One of the interesting things about the GMH is that although it's clear to see that it is shrunken that it isn't actually uniformedly shrunken; it's not possible to say something like 'The GMH is 5% smaller than the source" because that wouldn't be factually correct. Some aspects actually haven't really shrunk at all and are pretty much spot on in measurements to better casts from the same source like the PP2 buck so you'd say there was 0% shrinkage where as some aspects that are easily measurable have shrunk by between 3 and (just over) 5% which gives the line of GMHs a set of proportions unique to that particular helmet. Some aspects that it's harder to quantify and measure appear to have shrunk more and are perhaps in the 6 - 8% bracket (estimate not supported by fact). One of the areas that appears to have suffered most is the dome which certainly has less volume and roundness than it should and in that I'm not just acccounting for the shrunken size I mean that in my opnion the dome on the GMH as it presently stands should have more volume and roundness because if you compare a GMH dome to the dome of a better helmet from the same ultimate source then as well as being bigger it will be more proportionally volumous and rounder. That's understandable because the dome is one of the hardest elements to replicate as many fan sculpts will attest and the dome of the sire GMH had suffered badly meaning FP had an enormous mountain to climb when reshaping it. For all that I still like the GMH and it's obviously particularly well suited to the smaller person but if you think the GMH looks kinda funny then the reason is because it kinda does; it's not the angle of the photo's and the dome issue is most noticable when viewed side on so you're both correct.

BM certainly incorporated the PP2 dent into his more recent helmets so that aspect is definitely in there. I never cared for his older dents as they looked particularly contrived so that's an imporovement straight off the bat. It would be interesting to know whether or not other aspects were incorporated and it's certainly possible that they are. Interesting to note that his site no longer promotes his helmet offering as his own sculpt, which used to tbe the case, so there may be a lot of the PP2 buck in the V3 helmet and that's no bad thing. I'd love to see one in the flesh to see what it's like; you only get so much from photo's.

Live the dream

Andy
    Last edited by intwenothor; Dec 27, 2015 at 6:31 AM.
    Dec 27, 2015, 11:24 AM - Re: Armor Size Comparisions #25

Sorry I double posted.
    Last edited by remo032; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:43 PM. Reason: double post