First of all I am no expert. I'm new to the forum, and this is my second Boba Fett Costume. (The first one was a fiberglass paper machet disaster!)
I joined the Dented Helmet and was blown away by the skill sets of the folks on this forum. Everything here seems so top notch. Thank you for your knowledge!! I have purchased various parts and items from various members. What a hunt that was!
I recently got my RKD armor and started off to working on it. I learned so much on these forums. There are some great tutorials but I felt there were not as many images as I would have liked. I'm sure there's a million threads out there but I decided to try and contribute somehow by showing my approach on armor painting with as many pics as possible.
Here has been my experience so far. Any advice from the pros is muchly appreciated here!
1. I open my box from RKD. The armor looks great. I start by sanding and dremeling to clean them up.
2. I clean, sand, tack cloth, and prime the armor
3. Silver coat.
4. Paint on latex mask where I want to see silver later.
5. Paint on the secondary paint coat layer. I learned from my mistakes that you need to make the banana color underneath the green very dark and subdued. I mist with black and orange rattle can to get the color right. (I had to do the chest armor all over again because the orange overlap was too strong with the green.)
6. I then use latex mask to paint around the original latex mask paths to create the overlap.
7. I then painted the green. I also mist with black to darken the edges and dirty it up.
[ATTACH=CONFIG][object HTMLDivElement][/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG][object HTMLDivElement][/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG][object HTMLDivElement][/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG][object HTMLDivElement][/ATTACH]
I have a lot of weathering to do but you can already see the reslut.