armor help

mike

armor help

I got a sheet of plexi-glass from Home Depot to make a custom armor but it crack whenever i try to cut it. Does any one know how to stop it from cracking?

Re: armor help

Hey Mike,

My only suggestion is not to use plexiglass for your armor. I've never heard of anyone using that, in fact. Try searching these forums for SINTRA, which should point you in the right direction... and with a wealth of helpful information.

From
    SW Minnesota, very small town

YEah, I hate to sound negative, but plexiglass is probably not the best choice for usage as armour. You might be able to do some bending and shaping with it if you use a heat gun, but if you cruise through TDH for a bit, I think you may find some better alternatives for your armour
    Damian

What are you using to cut it? Plexi is like Sintra in that if you try to shear it with snips or scissors,it will crack like ice.

Now, Sintra is a great alternative or even sheet metal. You'd be suprised at what you could do with some 18 gauge sheet metal and a set of tin snips.

mike

I was using a hacksaw, sometimes it will work but i think i'll take ypur advise

Go to usplastics.com and do a search for sintra. I used .120 thickness for my armor and it works great.

From
    San Marcos, TX

try packing tape along where you're cutting. may help

Jodo_Kast wrote:

What are you using to cut it? Plexi is like Sintra in that if you try to shear it with snips or scissors,it will crack like ice.

Now, Sintra is a great alternative or even sheet metal. You'd be suprised at what you could do with some 18 gauge sheet metal and a set of tin snips.
    ''AMEN TO THAT''...

mike

I've cut out some more peices and I think the best way to get it to not crack is to not go on any even fairly rapid turns while cutting, but to just saw a square around the peice and and trim it to size.

From
    Mosfellsbaer Iceland

Try using a dremmel, but I would recomend Sintra or PVC foamboard here in Europe.