Armor attachment TOOL Question

From
    Sacramento, CA

Armor attachment TOOL Question

So if I'm going with the grommet / nut & bolt method to attach armor, I have a couple questions:

If I use the following tools, do I need to cut a hole in the vest fabric or do the tools do it for me. The entire set up is around $140, does that sound like a good price?

$84 GROMMET SNAP TOOL
    Outstanding features- Quick-snap interchangeable dies, no alignment problems, 3 1/2" throat, high strength, low weight, aluminum alloy, additional dies available, for grommets and other fasteners. Replacement parts are also available.

$50 SELF PIERCING DIE SET (attaches to snap tool)
    Self Piercing Grommet Dies for Press-N-Snap Tool with the Press-N-Snap tool.

$10 (100) SELF PIERCING GROMMET/WASHER
    Cuts holes and sets grommet in one operation! Premium self piercing grommets have a sharpened edge for superior piercing ability. Washers are made with a patented design with small teeth and a channel to prevent slipping and provide extra holding power.

Thanks for comments.

Sean

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

Re: Armor attachment TOOL Question

i'd say save yourself a boat load of money and buy this instead: http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd11242

you're just putting grommets through fabric, not anything industrial. so why spend what you don't need to? i used the snap method, and installing snaps is very similar to grommets. cut a tiny slit for one half, put the top half over it and bang them together with a hammer and the little tools that come with the kit.

Re: Armor attachment TOOL Question

yeah... no need for anything that heavy duty to put a few grommets in fabric. I used the little hammer tool from joann myself.