Subscribe
    Oct 21, 2013, 10:54 PM - Any other good alternative to the U.S. Divers buckle? #1

Just trying to get some discussion on a reasonable alternative for the very pricey and even harder to find US Dive Co buckle? Looks like the seller of the replicas is no longer doing this, so there may be some other decently similar steel buckle out there. If you have any leads or ideas, drop em here!
    Oct 21, 2013, 11:05 PM - Re: Any other good alternative to the U.S. Divers buckle? #2

Quote syllander said: View Post
    Just trying to get some discussion on a reasonable alternative for the very pricey and even harder to find US Dive Co buckle? Looks like the seller of the replicas is no longer doing this, so there may be some other decently similar steel buckle out there. If you have any leads or ideas, drop em here!
    I may or may not be working on one :X
    Oct 21, 2013, 11:40 PM - Re: Any other good alternative to the U.S. Divers buckle? #3

Good. Get one and I'll take it and the shoulder studs, if you still have them.
    Too much interest in these for someone crafty not to jump on them.
    Oct 22, 2013, 6:23 AM - Re: Any other good alternative to the U.S. Divers buckle? #4

i bought this vintage divers belt buckleClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1st boba buckle.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	72443
    Then i did this to it Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st boba buckle 2.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	72444
    snagged it off ebay for $5
    here's the seller they do pre owned diving gear, every now and then they have vintage buckles
    http://stores.ebay.ie/onemorechancescuba
    they've got this one at the moment but it's not that good looking for a conversion job http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SCUBA-DIVING-...item46114109f3
    Last edited by thebeans; Oct 22, 2013 at 6:29 AM.
    Oct 22, 2013, 6:58 AM - Re: Any other good alternative to the U.S. Divers buckle? #5

I'll keep my eye on the ok eBay than. What are the overall dimensions on these things? In inches?
    Oct 22, 2013, 7:49 AM - Re: Any other good alternative to the U.S. Divers buckle? #6

I'll keep my eye on the ok eBay than. What are the overall dimensions on these things? In inches?
    Here is a great template (with an inch mini ruler) drawn by Rich D. which is pretty good for scratch builders ==> US Divers belt buckle blueprint.
    Oct 22, 2013, 9:22 AM - Re: Any other good alternative to the U.S. Divers buckle? #7

i'm doing the same as thebeans.. i purchased the same one a couple of months ago from that seller
    Oct 22, 2013, 10:43 AM - Re: Any other good alternative to the U.S. Divers buckle? #8

I never took the dimensions from mine but i think it is just over 2 inches witdth to accommodate the 2inch wide strap that runs through it , but you'd probably want closer to the real US divers buckle, Rafal's post makes a lot of sense and is worth looking at too.
    Oct 22, 2013, 10:51 AM - Re: Any other good alternative to the U.S. Divers buckle? #9

I was a little apprehensive about what would show up from that seller, but when i arrived(superfast shipping btw!)i said "SCORE!" and made the mods to it that day.
    i'm very happy with how it turned out and would recommend members here to do what i did because real US divers buckles are getting increasingly difficult to find.
  10. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Oct 22, 2013, 11:25 AM - Re: Any other good alternative to the U.S. Divers buckle? #10

Well not all the harnesses had a round edge...Boba Fett Costume - The Dented Helmet Gallery
    Oct 22, 2013, 11:30 AM - Re: Any other good alternative to the U.S. Divers buckle? #11

nice catch there
  12. Member Since
    Mar 2012
    Oct 22, 2013, 12:00 PM - Re: Any other good alternative to the U.S. Divers buckle? #12

You can also try to expand your eBay seaching skills. Try under divers harness, dive weight belt, dive belt, dive buckle, etc. you get the idea. I picked up a real one for only about $40 in a lot with other belts and then sold the weights back on eBay and paid for the buckle. A little time and patience and it will pay off...eventually.
    Oct 22, 2013, 12:17 PM - Re: Any other good alternative to the U.S. Divers buckle? #13

Thanks Rafal!
    Oct 22, 2013, 1:19 PM - Re: Any other good alternative to the U.S. Divers buckle? #14

Hey man,

I got two buckles - a US divers buckle with the odd shaped end, and a Dacor belt buckle that has the right shape.

PM me and we'll work something out.

15. Member Since
    Jul 2013
    Oct 24, 2013, 5:51 PM - Re: Any other good alternative to the U.S. Divers buckle? #15

This is the hard to find and oft this site has one left In stock. The scuba museum
    Dec 13, 2013, 1:10 PM - Re: Any other good alternative to the U.S. Divers buckle? #16

I've been looking at a lot of info, and where is the actual confirmation that the buckle was the US Divers CO one? I haven't found any pics where you can see any markings.
  17. Dec 13, 2013, 3:09 PM - Re: Any other good alternative to the U.S. Divers buckle? #17

FullMetalFett is doing the replicas again...his are near spot on! He has a thread in the cargo hold now

As far as confirmation Matt, im not even sure myself lol...when i joined it was already a found part so i never questioned it. I bet there is a promo or "behind the scenes" shot where you can see it...OR its a similar situation to the ASI scope. Same time frame, same size/shape, but could be a few different manufacturers. Everyone always says the ASI scope is what was used...but noone as far as i know has ever proven it was definitely an ASI, there were a few companies making the same scope just with different branding..ASI was just the first one discovered to be correct i think. Maybe the same holds true for the buckle? thinking out loud here
    Dec 13, 2013, 8:59 PM - Re: Any other good alternative to the U.S. Divers buckle? #18

The proper scope is probably the hunter but it would be interesting to know if another buckle were used
    Dec 13, 2013, 10:48 PM - Re: Any other good alternative to the U.S. Divers buckle? #19

Interesting turn....I'm good with my replica. But I am interested now if no one has close ups. Dacor was also pretty popular during that timeframe.
    Dec 14, 2013, 12:28 AM - Re: Any other good alternative to the U.S. Divers buckle? #20

Quote Matty Matt said: View Post
    I've been looking at a lot of info, and where is the actual confirmation that the buckle was the US Divers CO one? I haven't found any pics where you can see any markings.
    Here is an old thread regarding the belt buckle ==> Official Jet Pack Waist Strap Buckle. While it's not 100% correct, it is very close to the one used on the original suits.
    Dec 15, 2013, 11:23 AM - Re: Any other good alternative to the U.S. Divers buckle? #21

Ok, thanks guys. Very good info. So there is nothing definitive. It may be the US Divers CO version, or it may be something else. There are a lot of similar buckles out there. This is good to discuss because people talk like this is a slam dunk found part and you've just got to have that US Divers stamp.
    Dec 15, 2013, 12:27 PM - Re: Any other good alternative to the U.S. Divers buckle? #22

Glad this has cast some more mystery back on Boba....good to know what we don't know.