About gauntlets with hinges?

From
    Porterville, California

About gauntlets with hinges?

Hi guys, I have a question. Are the majority of members opposed to Boba gauntlets that use an exposed hinge on the inside forearm area due to lack of accuracy? Reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to gauge whether I should move forward with a Boba version of my gauntlet sculpts. Last week a couple of friends converted a pair of my Jango shells to ESB Bobas and they surprisingly turned out very very nice. So I was just wondering what the general consensus was.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Cruzer

From
    Ohio

Re: About gauntlets with hinges?

my 2 cents for what it's worth.

I kind of like the hinge better than the versions without it. I realize it's not screen accurate, but I believe it adds a touch of real life to it.

From
    Perth, Western Australia

If it works, looks good and is practical, then yes its worth it.. ive got hinges on my Ruffkintoy Styrene ones...

When i go Fibreglass... when i have the money and Daz has them finished and ready to make, ill probably go tons of rare earth magnets... :P but thats just me

i use the hinge. this is a case where i take an accuracy hit for practicality. it's less stress on the shells, easier to put on, and easier to take off.

so for me, hinge++

and alcfalath - i'd be reaaaaaallllly careful with that many magnets on your arm. i know i keep my wallet on me when i troop. i think that enough magnets to keep the gauntlet secure would also be enough to ruin credit cards!

I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    From
    California USA

They don't have credit Down Under.

Hinges are fine, I use 'em.

How do you get the hinges to stay....epoxy,rivets,hot glue.

BTW my gauntlets are Fiberglass.

Thanks!
    -Roddie-

From
    Porterville, California

Thanks guys for your opinions. I forgot all about BM making gauntlets, so I'll want to make sure I don't interfer with his plans.
    I was also considering whether or not hidden hinges could be used on both sides, but I'll have to look into it.

Roddie Fett, here's a tutorial on your questions:http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=25280

Thanks,
    Cruzer

From
    Massachusetts

I'm actually surprised with how many folks use the hinges considering how much time everyone spends on the accuracy of all their other parts. That's why I've never used the hinges despite how easy to use and practical they are.

Nothing against anyone that uses them...just an observation.

webchief said: View Post
    I'm actually surprised with how many folks use the hinges considering how much time everyone spends on the accuracy of all their other parts. That's why I've never used the hinges despite how easy to use and practical they are.
    i used to repaint my gauntlets every 3rd troop or so. not to mention the cracks in the plastic. i'll take a hit on the accuracy to avoid that. i figure folks won't think anything is amiss when they see a hinge, but if there are large chunks of white plastic showing through, that kills the look.

and if you're using fiberglass bottoms, they aren't going to flex all that well...

From
    Massachusetts

See, I've never had fiberglass ones so I never really had too much issue with them not flexing. I HAVE had the problem with cracking though. Not every third troop but enough that it's annoying to the point of wanting fiberglass ones.

See, I've never had fiberglass ones so I never really had too much issue with them not flexing. I HAVE had the problem with cracking though. Not every third troop but enough that it's annoying to the point of wanting fiberglass ones.
    the lower shells on my MoWs don't really flex at all. i'm pretty sure they'd crack if they weren't hinged.

the ones i'm making won't flex much / at all either, so if you end up with a set of those, hinged it will be.

though i'm thinking about getting with greg to vac some lower shells for me

From
    Massachusetts

tk7602 said: View Post
    though i'm thinking about getting with greg to vac some lower shells for me
    I think that's the best way to go about it.

I think that's the best way to go about it.
    i want it to be an option. i'm sticking with hinges myself, but if i could bang out a pile of lowers in one shot it would make me happy.

i might vac the right gauntlet top as well. not sure yet