? about dye (jumpsuit, neckseal, gloves)

From
    Knoxville Tenn.

? about dye (jumpsuit, neckseal, gloves)

[FONT=Times New Roman]OK… I’ve got acouple of questions. Now maybe I’ve been staring at too many reference photos for too long or maybe I’m over analyzing everything on the costume… but here’s the deal…[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]We know the Boba costumes started off white in color, than later they were painted and dyed as needed.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]We also know that the padded neck-seal is attached to the jumpsuit (that’s why it closes in the front)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]But if that was the case, how/ why are they different colors? The jumpsuit being bluish grey and the neck-seal being off white. This applies for the gloves also, the main body is dyed and the padded backs are not.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]So what’s the scoop? Were these items cut apart, dyed and then resewn? [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Another thing that’s interesting is the pre-pro gloves… they appear to have been completely (including military patches) dyed all at once and the different fabric types absorbed different amounts of the dye, giving a two-tone effect.[/FONT]
    Last edited by SaxeCoburg; Oct 3, 2006 at 2:18 PM.

From
    SW Minnesota, very small town

Re: ? about dye (jumpsuit, neckseal, gloves)

Good Point!! I dunno????? Sounds like a question for TD!

From
    Knoxville Tenn.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Anybody…. Thoughts, comments?[/FONT]

From
    Fort Worth, TX

It may not be correct, but my opinion is that it's the same jumpsuit(s) in both ESB and ROTJ. I remember seeing some close-ups from the exhibits where you can see the blue-grey jumpsuit material under the shoulder and other hidden areas. It makes sense that the jumpsuit got rather sun-bleached over the years with filming and such. Same for the gloves.

As for the neckseal, I've only seen it attached on the pre-pro suit, unless someone has better pics of the later suits. In either case, the material for the neckseal is synthetic, and probably wouldn't take dye very well.

Again, my opinions.

From
    SW Minnesota, very small town

batninja said: View Post
    It may not be correct, but my opinion is that it's the same jumpsuit(s) in both ESB and ROTJ. I remember seeing some close-ups from the exhibits where you can see the blue-grey jumpsuit material under the shoulder and other hidden areas. It makes sense that the jumpsuit got rather sun-bleached over the years with filming and such. Same for the gloves.

I definately agree with that!! I can even tell that my own jumsuit contiues to get lighter & less blue as time goes on. I have to redye it every so often.