Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    4 Weeks Ago - Jul 29, 2015, 5:36 PM - 8/25 UPDATE: ROTJ Boba (parts & comments) #1

Hey guys, some quick pics of my Boba (when I get time I'll do some better ones - wish these were a little more straight on). Still lots of little things to do to it (chest and rangefinder lights, studs on boots, hoses - perhaps even more weathering?)

Armor is RKD painted up by Sleepalot
    Gaunts are Wickedbeard
    Flight suit/vest/spats/pouches/ is Ladysewsforus
    Braids Woodman
    Girth belt MOW
    Ammo belt MOW (weathered thanks to Deathproof's excellent tutorial)
    Boots MOW
    Lid Fettpride (painted by me, not too happy with the color)
    Jetpack (I know - not seen is MOW)
    Shin tools Darth Vorhees

Comments and constructive criticism is welcome.

img_2304_zpss8mkej5x-jpg

img_2303_zpswc8m0xj3-jpg

img_2305_zpsy4f68r2a-jpg
    Last edited by kevnaminute; 4 Days Ago at 10:12 AM.
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
  3. Formerly saint nasty Mike M.'s Avatar
    4 Weeks Ago - Jul 29, 2015, 5:40 PM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #2

i am really digging all the rotj love these days! there was a long time where it felt like there were only three of us.
  4. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    4 Weeks Ago - Jul 29, 2015, 5:47 PM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #3

I think more weathering is needed like you said...Im not to sure I like the color of the knees and shoulders to be honest they're very orange....perhaps too orange. The flight suit looks like its a khaki color and should be a grey...could all be lighting though?
    4 Weeks Ago - Jul 29, 2015, 6:50 PM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #4

Thanks Dom - yeah the suit came from Carol in a light khaki color - Q : do I need to dye the suit or could a light gre misting achieve the desired effect?

Not really sure how to approach the bells - knees. It was painted by a member here
    4 Weeks Ago - Jul 29, 2015, 6:54 PM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #5

The orange for the shoulders and knees should have been more of a highlight, not a solid colour. To fix this, mask the damage, and use an airbrush to bring more yellow into it. You will have to reweather them.

I agree that the soft parts need more weathering. Looks like you took the photos in fluorescent lighting though, so I don't think the suit colour itself is an issue. Try taking them outside or with daylight. I find fluorescents really make the suit look yellow-ish.

Nice belt
  7. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    4 Weeks Ago - Jul 29, 2015, 7:19 PM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #6

Being you said theyre khaki...Id try and get some RIT dye and go with a little dye to get a more grey color. Itll change the whole look I think.
    4 Weeks Ago - Jul 29, 2015, 7:50 PM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #7

Aaron - I don't have access to a airbrush but the same effect could be achieved with a rattle can I suppose?
    4 Weeks Ago - Jul 29, 2015, 8:48 PM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #8

You could use rattle can, but I find I get more control with an airbrush.
    4 Weeks Ago - Jul 29, 2015, 9:08 PM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #9

Nice looking fett! The fluorescent lighting makes the shoulders and knees appear more orange btw. Take some pictures outside!
    Last edited by Lazarus; 4 Weeks Ago at 9:20 PM.
    4 Weeks Ago - Jul 29, 2015, 9:55 PM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #10

From the sounds of things, lighting will make a big difference in how colors appear. I believe Deathproof posted multiple photos of his suit in different lighting conditions, and they all look different, ha ha! I'd say take more photos outside, or under a different light fixture with better color rendition, and repost for comments...?

I bet most of the color comments "go away"!
    4 Weeks Ago - Jul 29, 2015, 10:57 PM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #11

Based on your comments, others posted here (aka weathering), and a lack of rear photos I could only make these observations.

Problem 1)
    Your braids are incorrect. You have the ESB version of the braids and not the RoTJ version of the braids.

wookie-braids-png
    ESB -

Wookiee Scalps
    For 501st approval:

• Black, blonde and silver gray braided loops of hair hung from the right shoulder.
    • Color and ornaments on the braids is consistent with visual reference.

RoTJ -
    Wookiee Scalps
    For 501st approval:

• Blonde, brown and black braided loops of hair hung from the right shoulder.
    • Color and ornaments on the braids must be consistent with visual reference.

Basically the silver gray wookie scalp loop you have is the dead giveaway.

Problem 2)
    Your gloves do not appear to be the RoTJ version. They are to be Light grey gloves...your gloves appear to be white on white. If you made the gloves yourself you will want to detach the padding and dye the gloves light grey.
    gloves-png

From the 501st website (granted these are the lvl 2 cert ones with tackle twil)
    150px-rotj_boba_fett_gloves-jpg

Problem 3)
    There are some issues with your right gauntlet possibly (not a very close image). You might also want to consider painting two of the darts at least.
    gauntlets-png

Please note I got the left image from the gallery here on TDH (http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/galle...t-costume.html). The part indicated in red should be silver in color. Maybe your piece broke off (this appears to have happened when filming on the barge...some scenes appear to have this piece broken off to me. (http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/galle...hp?photo=11320)

For your right gauntlet you could also consider getting alco plunger switchers...yours appear to be toggle switches. The thread is located http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/wiki/...utton-Switches

Post more detailed pictures and you will get better feedback. Your outfit looks awesome btw.
  13. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    4 Weeks Ago - Jul 29, 2015, 11:08 PM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #12

Didn't notice before, but youre missing hoses
    4 Weeks Ago - Jul 29, 2015, 11:46 PM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #13

Thanks guys

Crum thanks for the detailed breakdown

The gloves are Rotj - the lights washed out the gray

Also I know exactly which piece you are talking about on the gaunt - it was broken off when I received it. But I believe I have it in the box so just a matter of gluing it back on

As for the braids - I asked Woody for ROTJ and my assumption was that was what I received (I know the old saying about assuming). However I believe it's just a matter of removing the gray braid to match Rotj - will check

Also Dom, yes I mentioned the hoses being absent

Thanks again all
  15. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    4 Weeks Ago - Jul 29, 2015, 11:50 PM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #14

Take a better pic of the braids....maybe your order got mixed up...Woody will set you straight Im sure...
    4 Weeks Ago - Jul 29, 2015, 11:51 PM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #15

If you asked for ROTJ braids from Woodman, that's what you received. I have a silver braid going down the back of mine.

Do your braids have the knots?
  17. Formerly saint nasty Mike M.'s Avatar
    4 Weeks Ago - Jul 30, 2015, 12:49 AM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #16

Quote kevnaminute said: View Post

The gloves are Rotj - the lights washed out the gray

Thanks again all
    your gloves actually are so light grey in the photos (maybe they're not so light in real life) they appear to be SE. after 20+ years in storage, by they time they pieced a fett costume together for '97 they had faded to the point of looking like white gloves that were really dirty. screen ROTJ gloves are surprisingly darker than most people realize, though not as dark as ESB, obviously. though, to be honest, most GML's wouldn't even notice as long as you provide a close up shot that shows the gloves are, indeed, grey.

here's a screen shot from ROTJ that i use for reference:
    4 Weeks Ago - Jul 30, 2015, 8:40 AM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #17

Here's the braids. After looking at them I'm pretty sure they're ROTJ. Also, Mike, yes, the gloves are relatively light but not that far from the screenshot you pictured.

img_2306_zpsqqi5ph0f-jpg
    4 Weeks Ago - Jul 30, 2015, 9:44 AM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #18

Those are definitely ROTJ braids.
  20. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    4 Weeks Ago - Jul 30, 2015, 9:06 PM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #19

Just had em on wrong....
    4 Weeks Ago - Jul 31, 2015, 8:58 PM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #20

Didn't notice it before, in the picture you posted mike to kevnaminute about the color of the gloves, Boba's back armor isn't attached to the neck armor?

Must of been just for this seen? otherwise 501st requirement states (back armor must be attached to neck armor).
  22. Member Since
    Jan 2015
    4 Weeks Ago - Aug 1, 2015, 10:17 AM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #21

Quote jarice4 said: View Post
    Didn't notice it before, in the picture you posted mike to kevnaminute about the color of the gloves, Boba's back armor isn't attached to the neck armor?

Must of been just for this seen? otherwise 501st requirement states (back armor must be attached to neck armor).
    It was just a costume malfunction during filming. They either didn't notice or didn't care during editing.
    4 Weeks Ago - Aug 1, 2015, 4:38 PM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #22

Kenaminute I looked at your 3 pictures again and yes I agree with everyone else about the weathering at least with the jumpsuit. Then either I don't see it or you don't have it. The divers buckle with black strap around the waist? I just received my new (ROTJ) boba fett jumpsuit from Boba Maker and I had him weather it. Besides fitting great, his weathering was the same as mine on my old jumpsuit. I wanted someone to weather it that has done alot of them. So I felt pretty good with my old one. lolimg_20150726_122626323-jpg
    4 Weeks Ago - Aug 1, 2015, 5:16 PM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #23

Kenaminute I looked at your 3 pictures again and yes I agree with everyone else about the weathering at least with the jumpsuit. Then either I don't see it or you don't have it. The divers buckle with black strap around the waist? I just received my new (ROTJ) boba fett jumpsuit from Boba Maker and I had him weather it. Besides fitting great, his weathering was the same as mine on my old jumpsuit. I wanted someone to weather it that has done alot of them. So I felt pretty good with my old one. lolimg_20150726_122626323-jpg
    The divers buckle and strap are tier 2 requirements for 501st. They are not required for basic authentication since many do different jetpack harnesses.

For level two certification (if applicable):

• Must have a white light in the beacon
    • Must attach to the harness via two metal hooks that exit the rear of the jetpack.
    • Must have a black webbing waist belt connected either to the pack itself or a harness. This belt must have an accurate US Divers buckle (or replica).

For level three certification (if applicable):

• Must have accurate scuba tank frame with black webbing waist belt connected to include the accurate US Divers buckle (or replica).

4 Weeks Ago - Aug 1, 2015, 7:46 PM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #24

Yes Crumdum you are right sorry, I went right for the level two on mine. I forgot.
    4 Weeks Ago - Aug 1, 2015, 7:58 PM - Re: ROTJ Boba...almost done but still WIP #25

Yes Crumdum you are right sorry, I went right for the level two on mine. I forgot.
    Right with yea at tier 3.