I thought I had posted this last night, but I must not have, since it's not here.
Back in February I ordered a steel backplate to go with the rest of my metal armor. I got it a couple of weeks ago, and last night I painted it up.
The collar and backplate really aren't the most interesting subjects paint-wise. The armor needed some trimming, which was fun:
mmm, angle grinder...
Once I got the edges trimmed down, I sanded off the primer.
It looks all bumpy and strange, but that's just the pattern from the sanding. The metal is very smooth.
I masked off the silver area with the trusty latex, then sprayed the yellow:
I cheaped out with the yellow, and only painted the parts of the backplate around the damage. I didn't feel like covering the whole thing just to coat most of it in green.
After about 15 minutes I masked the yellow areas and sprayed on the green.
15 minutes after that I peeled back the latex, and this is what I got...
I don't really like the yellow, but it's the same yellow I used on the rest of the armor. I want to repaint it all, but I've got enough trooping planned between now and thanksgiving that there's just no time for that.
So, I painted the new stuff so that it would match the old, and will redo all of it at once later on.
I still have to add some fine scratches, mist it with black, blackwash it, etc... but that was a pretty decent night's work!