Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Aug 16, 2009, 2:55 PM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #26

Just went back to the supertrooper video with Ben Burt. Check this out. Looks like it knocks the Shure microphone out of the running (no etched lines) as well as the sweep arm base (too short). I still think Wes was on the right track with a microphone, but clearly we haven't found it yet...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4th_shintool.png 
Views:	1791 
Size:	279.4 KB 
ID:	35657  
    Aug 16, 2009, 3:03 PM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #27

The length and width does lend itself to being some sort of mic along the same type as the ones that have been posted so far. Again I'm wondering if there is a connection between this piece and the top of the jetpack beacon, or the whole thing for that matter.
    Aug 16, 2009, 3:08 PM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #28

That's a much clearer shot... your right that the sweep arm is now out the park. the hunt continues.

Be interested to see what Alex can throw into the pot?
  4. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Aug 16, 2009, 4:23 PM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #29

Quote Mojo-Fett said: View Post
    That's a much clearer shot... your right that the sweep arm is now out the park. the hunt continues.
    Be interested to see what Alex can throw into the pot?
    Working on it.

Quote ART ANDREWS said: View Post
    Just went back to the supertrooper video with Ben Burt. Check this out. Looks like it knocks the Shure microphone out of the running (no etched lines) as well as the sweep arm base (too short). I still think Wes was on the right track with a microphone, but clearly we haven't found it yet...
    Perfect shot Art..

5. formerly old_jedi_mind_trick Bobby Fett UK's Avatar
    Aug 16, 2009, 5:51 PM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #30

The list refers to a Torch that was purchased, have that been linked to another area of the suit already? Could be a lead?
  6. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Aug 16, 2009, 6:21 PM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #31

Some of us believe the "torch" is the little flashlight type light in the end of the right gauntlet.
  7. formerly old_jedi_mind_trick Bobby Fett UK's Avatar
    Aug 16, 2009, 6:21 PM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #32

Had a quick look and turned this up. Not anywhere near as close as the mic, but similar dimensions etc.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-PENCIL...d=p3286.c0.m14
    Aug 16, 2009, 10:46 PM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #33

Those pictures of the ST make it look like it fills the entire pocket from top to bottom. Some of the pictures of the prepro suits and the cardboard standee I have make it look a little shorter than the ST pics. Just an observation.

I was wondering if it was a flashlight/torch with a push button on the endcap? That could explain the red we see in some pics.
    Aug 17, 2009, 8:37 AM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #34

I did a quick runthrough of the penlights and some others at flashlightmuseam.com and I am leaning more towards a mic similar to what has been posted rather than a flashlight/torch.
    Aug 17, 2009, 10:06 AM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #35

could the red end be more of an orange color? I haven't seen the pics that you are refering to so I could be way off base on that, but I found this on E-bay. It's an AKG C-61/CK-28 Tube Mic. The seller has TONS of vinatage mics in his store.

Aug 17, 2009, 10:22 AM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #36

Just started looking at the HD screencaps from ESB; do we know what the things in the straps around the bottom of Bossk's space suite are. There's one missing from his right (screen left) "ankle"

and in some of the shots the bottoms look slotted similar to some of the mics that have been posted...
    Aug 17, 2009, 10:35 AM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #37

Just found the prepro pic with the red...definately not the one I posted...
    Aug 23, 2009, 6:31 PM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #38

if it's a shure microphone, i'd go with this one, a shure slim-x 777

Aug 24, 2009, 9:41 PM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #39

looks like a good possibility, but looking at the pic of the supertrooper with the piece sticking out farther it looks like its all one dimension at least as far down as what is sticking out of the pocket. Nothing that has been posted thus far has been that way. Of course that could be a trick of the lighting/low res of the video. But judging by the prepro pic volkerc posted that the pocket is "full" only about halfway down the pocket so that shure mic is a good possibility.
    Aug 24, 2009, 9:56 PM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #40

volkerc; I agree that what you suggest is a good candidate. The lip under the top part would explain how the tool is able to stay stuck up in the pocket. If there was no lip and the part was shorter than the pocket, wouldnt it just slide down? But I havent researched this part at all so I dont know the rough size and shape very well. But it looks good to me...
    Aug 25, 2009, 12:02 AM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #41

I have one coming my way, so I guess we will see if it is the correct one or not. I will post up some pictures when it arrives.
    Aug 25, 2009, 2:27 AM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #42

Quote FettFanatic said: View Post
    I have one coming my way, so I guess we will see if it is the correct one or not. I will post up some pictures when it arrives.
    cool. i have one coming as well, but i'm sure you'll get yours faster than me.
    Aug 27, 2009, 4:58 PM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #43

while we are waiting for pics from FettFanatic, here is a link to an online video, posted by a musician, might give you folks some idea about the size...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61AP9uU8r5w
    Last edited by volkerc; Aug 29, 2009 at 4:55 PM.
    Sep 2, 2009, 10:41 AM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #44

Well I can post up pictures if needed, but I can say that the shure slim in post #38 is not the piece we are looking for. I got one I purchased yesterday, and the lip around the top is way too thin. It is only like 1mm thick. I guess the hunt goes on.
  20. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Sep 13, 2009, 4:31 PM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #45

Anyone find this yet??
  21. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Sep 13, 2009, 4:36 PM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #46

Quote volkerc said: View Post
    while we are waiting for pics from FettFanatic, here is a link to an online video, posted by a musician, might give you folks some idea about the size...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61AP9uU8r5w
    Thanks V, good size reference.. an even better option than what was previously mentioned.
  22. Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Sep 14, 2009, 1:46 AM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #47

I just found this thread. I am intrigued by the mic idea. I think that makes a lot of sense. It quickly made me think of the sennheiser shotguns in wide use in film production now and especially at the time of ESB. I have a mini-shotgun that is from the late 70's/ early eighties. I got it out and unscrewed it (it unscrews at the halfway point to insert the battery). I put it in the pocket and it looks pretty close. The pic here is a similar model to mine. This mic unscrews into two parts, the thinner bottom part screws into the top part (which is the part holding the diaphragm). You can see the top part is wider and has a lip at the insert where they screw together internally. When unscrewed it looks pretty much exactly like the pics of the prepro tool. The top half also happens to be exactly the right length for it to fit in that leg pouch. And it seems to be the same width.

Just to throw this out there. Seems perhaps a likely candidate. Keep in mind that this is a very common mic for film production. Maybe they had an extra dead one laying around the shop. ? I will take a pic of what mine looks like in the pocket of my BM flightsuit when I get a chance. The second attached pic shows Ben Burtt doing lightsaber foley using a Sennheiser full shotgun, probably the 816.
    Last edited by Lufo1138; Sep 14, 2009 at 1:22 PM.
  23. Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Sep 14, 2009, 2:33 AM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #48

This isn't the best lighting in the world but you can see what I am talking about. This is a cheap-end Sennheiser mini shotgun circa 1980, as per my previous post, unscrewed and the top half placed in the BM flightsuit pocket upside down with the hollow opening pointed up. I think its a 416 mini shotgun, but not certain. There are various models. This seems to fit in the pocket with a very similar look as the supertrooper of the inset, but not the same as the pp2. The possibilities for this are:
    1) sennheiser mic is not the right part
    2) sennheiser is correct but my sennheiser is not the correct model
    3) the BM pocket is not accurately the same depth as the pp2 pocket
    4) S Trooper part IS a sennheiser but the pp2/esb part is not
    5) pp2/esb pocket depth is different from the S Trooper pocket

or a combination of these. I am leaning towards a combination of #2 and #3 as I seriously doubt my exact model is what they used (how lucky would that be? Too lucky. I don't have that sort of luck). It is still just as likely that #1 is the reason, though. To me, the two different pp2 pics in this thread show two different thicknesses of the lip, the first one not matching with my sennheiser at all as the sennheiser lip is too thin. Then again, the second pic may appear thinner because of focal distance, so the idea of two different thicknesses just might be an optical illusion I am misinterpreting. I simply can't tell for sure. It could be as likely the tool is a simple aluminum tube. Just throwing this out for the sake of the debate. Either way, if you are going to consider microphones as the likely culprit, I think you have to take a serious look at Sennheiser mini shotguns available at the time as possible candidates.

FYI the length of the top half of my mic is right at 7 inches. Does anyone have accurate measurements for the real flight suit pockets?

An interesting comparison below... my sennheiser mini-shotgun top-half next to the traditional Don Post version of the tool. Length is very close to the same. (note that the mic is not supposed to be bent up like that... it is all wonky from decades of use and abuse).

Last edited by Lufo1138; Sep 14, 2009 at 2:19 PM.
    Sep 14, 2009, 8:14 AM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #49

Great find...I think I read somewhere that the original found part had the top half unscrewed from it, so this is a good start towards that. While I was searching the web I hadn't even considered the shotgun mics at all due to their length, but you are definately on to something!
  25. Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Sep 14, 2009, 2:45 PM - Re: 4th Shin tool - Jet pack adjustment... almost found #50

a quick but interesting comparison of my 416 mini shotgun with a pp2 image. The lighting and angle are off but I think it makes a case nonetheless.