Blaster 3D printed EE-3 Work in progress

aprilstorm

Jr Hunter
Im slowly working on a 3D printable EE-3 Blaster

This is what I have so far, just not sure if the dimensions are accurate. I have a feeling its tad too big

Fullscreen+capture+25032013+80249+AM.bmp.jpg

Also I fully intend to share this model for others to download when it is closer to completion.

Most of my work is already published here: About AprilStorm - Thingiverse

thanks

April

I keep on getting side tracked on other projects, but I have managed to print out the barrel.

I've just got it next to a kids Hasbro EE-3 for a comparison on scale.

48031_10151907637928986_2020718452_n.jpg

I will be working on the rest of it hopefully this weekend.

April

Looks good! Is the substrate ABS? If it is, you can smooth out the print 'lines' by suspending the piece over a bath of acetone and slowly heating the acetone until it starts to vaporize (around 50 degrees C).

Yes its ABS, and yes I have done the Acetone vapor thing before. The trick is to ensure its applied evenly which isnt that easy to do. While the vapor technique works well for small things for something this large I actually use a combination of a mouse sander, a power file and something I call ABS goo, which is basically a gooey paint made with ABS melted in acetone. Works reasonably well.

April

This is pretty friggin sweet! Would you be planning on making this and using it as is, or using this as a master and making molds to cast in rubber or foam or resin or whatever.

Ok, so here is the first prototype:

P1220295.jpg

I just used a cheap $8 scope from ebay that was approximately the correct size rather than printing it, what I did was print the clamps for it instead which turned out better than expected and work just like real ones, just plastic.

The only thing I messed up with on this was I scaled the stock and handle section too big, they should be 10% smaller, but I will finish this one and just use it for my custom mando, then fix up the model and print it again.

April

Very cool work! Do you think this will be able to print in metal? or will it me too heavy to solidify? BTW I love that you are using a real scope, that will look great.

As I said, I wasnt 100% happy with it, but I will bring it to completion as I need a lightweight blaster for my custom mando, having recently hurt my shoulder.

Yes, some more work is necessary to make it 100%, but that will not take too long, the stock and attachment are probably the two simplest parts of the model.

I have been looking for a reason to get a 3d printer and this may be it. I have other uses for it but this could be the motivation i need. You are very generous to share your hard work.

I have no idea how much people charge for these types of props, I have only ever scratch built, but I have to say, aside from the cost savings making your own stuff is very rewarding.

Anyway, since I printed it, I thought I'd may as well finish it, including the defects: Still looks "ok" but yeah I may as well fix it up.

1273917_10152215109348986_2127066374_o.jpg

You are very talented with this stuff April. A shame you are in TAG and not the SCG. Feel like moving north to our Garrison? :p

I want one of these badly..............:lol:

I have no idea how much a 3d printer costs or the matts needed for it, but to print out and all that how much would you charge someone?

I was thinking around the 120 mark, but it's not ready yet. This was printed on a $1000 printer that's nothing special BTW. The current model is up on thingiverse if anyone wants to download and print it.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back