Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

3D ESB sidearm

From
    Melbourne AU

Re: 3D ESB sidearm

I sliced up your hi poly model and its on the print bed now... I have a feeling looking at it thats its a tad on the big side so may need to print it again. I can only print in ABS plastic at 0.4mm vertical density, and its probably a 10+ hour print run.

I can post pictures when its done but dont want to de-rail your thread. let me know if thats ok.

Also since you went to all the trouble of making this model, which is actually pretty good btw (most stuff I get from is far from solid) if you do have problems getting it printed Im happy to work something out if you just want to pay for consumables and postage

No it's OK. I made this thread to give back to fellow Fett heads! Sometimes it takes more than 1 to make things happen. Hope your print goes well.

Blaster update: I'm consulting with a buddy of mine tomorrow to further optimize the sidearm size and format for printing tomorrow. Hopefully I will update the obj file then!

From
    Melbourne AU

Turned out pretty well, though I think its a bit big, so I will probably use it for my custom mando as a side arm.

wow April! That's awesome! I'm so glad it came out well (it looks fantastic). I'm having trouble obtaining any clue as to proper dimensions for this sidearm... all I need is one accurate measurement of something (tip of the blaster to the back end, length of the barrel,...) and the rest should scale accordingly.

Any information would help a ton as I would really like to print this thing when I go to the facilities tomorrow.

From
    Orlando

I have a real Nemrod holster so I'll take a measurement from about where the back sits to how far the tip sticks out based on reference. I'll post my results so you'll have a good idea how to size it.

From
    Pennsylvania

April, in an earlier post you mentioned the Facebook group that uses open source 3D software. Are you familiar with Blender? I had a version of it a few years ago but gave up trying to learn it. If you have any pointers, that would be awesome.
    JC

From
    Melbourne AU

Personally I use Sketchup Pro, with an addon that helps with solids. I find it much easier to model in, but organic shapes like this blaster are really hard to do in it, it tends to be better with more hard corners etc.

Never used blender, I have it, but havent tried. I started using sketchup only about 3 months ago so its easy to learn

From
    Limerick, PA

That turned out great. Lots of guys here have 1:1 copies of this thing. Maybe somebody could offer up some measurements? It would be greatly appreciated.

From
    Melbourne AU

I just scaled the grip so it would fit my hand, but it still looks kinda big to me compared to something like an E-11

Hey Wes7! I appreciate the assist. The sooner I can get accurate (or relative) measurements the better. Today me and a buddy are getting together to optimize the 3D file. If I could get measurements today that'd be awesome!

From
    Galati, Romania

Here are some measurements based on my own scaling factors (I just hope that someone will confirm if these are the correct values or not):

esb-sidearm-measurements-jpg

(image taken by Art Andrews of his own Technisub Pulce 40)

RafalFett you save the day once again. Thanks buddy!

From
    Galati, Romania

Archaster777 said: View Post
    RafalFett you save the day once again. Thanks buddy!
    I say wait until someone will confirm if these are the correct values or not... So, who will be the first to provide (or confirm) the much needed measurements?

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

Ill measure when I get home...

Thanks Fett 4 Real. I appreciate it.

From
    England

RafalFett said: View Post
    I say wait until someone will confirm if these are the correct values or not... So, who will be the first to provide (or confirm) the much needed measurements?
    The long measurement on mine is 294mm and the Mojo Fett replica is 287mm.
    Depth of tube is 48mm.
    Last edited by intwenothor; Mar 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM.

Unfortunately I was unable to print my blaster today (work got in the way) ... However, I may be able to get to it Thursday hopefully.

Thank you for the measurements intwenothor. is the long measurements based on the image provided by RafalFett or from the very tip to the very back of the blaster? I know it'd be nice to get measurements of a real pluce 40 spear gun (I pm'd a guy who is said to have one but never heard back...) but as long as it's a good size and fits in a nemrod holster it's ok with me.

From
    England

The measurements I have given are my measurements of a pulce 40 so Raf states 310mm on his diagram and this measurement is 294mm on my actual pulce and the same for the other measurement of the tube ( the tube measurement might not be exact as I still can't find my calipers ) but the long measurement should be spot on.

Andy

Live dream etc

From
    Melbourne AU

When I scaled it to fit my hand, I ended up with a 310mm body, actually the dimensions are almost exact to rafalfett's. As I said it kinda looked big, but if it used to be some sort of scuba gun I guess that explains it.

I actually sliced up the model into 7 parts so it could print nicely without any complex overhangs on a simple reprap like mine. I will upload it if you think that will help. Its in .STL format, which most open source slicers seem to want.

I'm in the process of adding a few additional details of the model. I'll be able to make an STL file of it when it is completed.

From
    Orlando

My real Nemrod holster is 393mm at its longest points.

From
    Galati, Romania

Using the measurement provided by Wes7 (393mm as the longest part of the Nemrod holster), the 294mm length and 48mm diameter (provided by intwenothor) seems the correct value, which means that the approximated measurements provided by me was bigger with 5%. I hope F4R will confirm these values.
    Last edited by RafalFett; Mar 27, 2013 at 9:55 AM. Reason: Text corrected.

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

I will, just got home last night and forgot, goto to cooking and working on a helmet commission stuff

I really appreciate all your help guys! Thank you all!

From
    England

RafalFett said: View Post
    Using the measurement provided by Wes7 (393mm as the longest part of the Nemrod holster), the 294mm length and 48mm diameter (provided by intwenothor) seems the correct value, which means that the approximated measurements provided by me was bigger with 5%. I hope F4R will confirm these values.
    Just to clarify the measurements were taken from a real pulce 40 that I was holding in my hands when I took the measurements.