Subscribe
  1. 1 Week Ago - Apr 15, 2015, 9:16 AM - 2 Weeks to update my Kit! **PIC HEAVY** #1

Hey everyone! Been a while since I started a thread besides in the Cargo Hold! BUT I got requested to show at a comic shop for Free Comic Book Day in a couple weeks (May 2nd) so I want to revamp most of my armor! Here's where everything is now; keep in mind I'll be doing the helmet over too but after the appearance as I don't want to rush the bucket like I did last time :P

I figured with such a giant task I'd start with smaller parts I can get done quickest, like the gauntlets. Here are some "Before" pics of my Left Gaunts:
    As you can tell, the weathering is pretty lazy It'd be neat to hear some critiques so I know some specific points to hit with the fixes! Thanks for looking!
    -Gav
  2. 1 Week Ago - Apr 15, 2015, 1:11 PM - Re: 2 Weeks to update my Kit! #2

I sanded them down, primed them, and added a metallic aluminum coat, followed by some masking (mainly to test out my new Windsor/Newton masking fluid )

Then, I tested out my new airbrush and put on a nice layer of Grun RLM 62 ( I think haha)

I peeled off the masking fluid and took some really bad quality pics

Thats where I am right now! I want to add some of the grays and then do a rust wash like I've seen others do. Hope you like it! ANY comments and suggestions are welcome! Thanks for looking!
    -Gav
  3. 1 Week Ago - Apr 16, 2015, 8:46 AM - Re: 2 Weeks to update my Kit! #3

UPDATE: I recently tried my hand at making a collar plate! I'm a new guy at this so I couldn't get a nice bevel xD But I took my best shot. I used Kydex and Rafal's templates. I kind of needed a new one as my current fiberglass one is a little snug and narrow.
    No dents

Some dents and comparison

What do you think?? Thanks for looking!
    -Gav
  4. 1 Week Ago - Apr 16, 2015, 3:53 PM - Re: 2 Weeks to update my Kit! **PIC HEAVY** #4

I got some more done on the collar!
    Here it is primed

Added the Metallic Aluminum

Paint to come soon!
  5. 1 Week Ago - Apr 17, 2015, 3:43 PM - Re: 2 Weeks to update my Kit! **PIC HEAVY** #5

Another Pic Update! Got the aluminum masked and sprayed on some Humbrol 79 for the gray. Peeled off the metal mask and voila!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1429303166385.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	87156 hope you guys like! Any comments on what you all think so far??
  6. Member Since
    Jan 2015
    1 Week Ago - Apr 17, 2015, 5:51 PM - Re: 2 Weeks to update my Kit! **PIC HEAVY** #6

Looks good. Why did you decide on Kydex? Is it pretty easy to work with?

Mike
  7. 1 Week Ago - Apr 17, 2015, 6:02 PM - Re: 2 Weeks to update my Kit! **PIC HEAVY** #7

Hey Mike,
    I chose Kydex honestly because I needed an extra few bucks in my Amazon cart haha its not too bad but if you need a bevel on the edge I'd suggest thinner than 3mm which is what I have
  8. 4 Days Ago - Apr 21, 2015, 7:21 AM - Re: 2 Weeks to update my Kit! **PIC HEAVY** #8

Experienced some nasty weather over here in Jersey yesterday, and currently not so great today. Should be able to get out there in another day or two once the weather clears up! Also have a fun addition that I'm working on! Im pretty excited about it myself!
  9. 4 Days Ago - Apr 21, 2015, 12:03 PM - Re: 2 Weeks to update my Kit! **PIC HEAVY** #9

HUGE find for me today! http://www.ebay.com/itm/301579611975
    Not 100% accurate but the rings are close enough if I were to cut them. Plus, for $15 its not that bad. If its not a nice size it has a 14 money back guarantee so I'm very optimistic here! My sidewinder scope got all sorts of broken so looking forward to this! What do you think of the scope???
    -Gav