Subscribe
  1. TD-4608's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    150
    Aug 21, 2010, 12:19 PM - 100% Metal Armor by FullMetalFett #1

    I bought a set of armor from FullMetalFett a while back and just about finished it. The cod and butt still need to be finished (painting) but the chest is about done. Since this is 1/8" aluminum, and came without dents, I couldn't get it exactly like the fiberglass stuff, but it is so cool when someone comes and knocks on your chest armor and you get that 'ding'. You always get a double take from the knocker!

    This is my first set of armor, so in all truth, I should have started with something a little easier to work with, but the best part about metal armor is that all I have to do is add some stripper to the stuff and start over, (beleive me it comes in handy when you are learning!)

    I don't know if FMF still makes the stuff, but he is an artist with metal. The curves and bends are perfect! Truly a great find! Oh, and in case you are wondering, because it is aluminum, it is lightweight and doesn't cause any problems like you may be thinking metal armor would cause.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture5.png 
Views:	198 
Size:	782.4 KB 
ID:	45807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture4.png 
Views:	176 
Size:	827.3 KB 
ID:	45806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture3.png 
Views:	157 
Size:	846.6 KB 
ID:	45809Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture2.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	826.4 KB 
ID:	45808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture1.png 
Views:	162 
Size:	878.7 KB 
ID:	45805
    Last edited by TD-4608; Aug 21, 2010 at 12:54 PM.
  2. TD-4608's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    150
    Aug 21, 2010, 12:44 PM - Re: 100% Metal Armor by FullMetalFett #2

    Here are some more pictures that show off some of FMF's talent. You can see the metal thickness as well as the curves. You can see that these are not flat metal pieces, but they have depth, just like fiberglass. Again- so cool FMF!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture7.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	895.5 KB 
ID:	45812Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture8.png 
Views:	125 
Size:	723.2 KB 
ID:	45813Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture6.png 
Views:	127 
Size:	673.3 KB 
ID:	45810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture9.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	671.0 KB 
ID:	45811
    Last edited by TD-4608; Aug 21, 2010 at 1:58 PM.
  3. Mojo-Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,783
    Aug 21, 2010, 12:50 PM - Re: 100% Metal Armor by FullMetalFett #3

    No pics bruv...
  4. james007bond's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    348
    Aug 21, 2010, 2:23 PM - Re: 100% Metal Armor by FullMetalFett #4

    Superb, 1/8" Ali.... The curves n bends look great.
    Have a question, is the cod one piece of Ali or made up from a few pieces like Wickedbeards? Same question regarding the knees?
    Luvving the thickness of the Ali.... cool
  5. TD-4608's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    150
    Aug 21, 2010, 2:43 PM - Re: 100% Metal Armor by FullMetalFett #5

    The cod is two pieces that have been welded, not glued together. Really nice and sturdy. The knees are also two piece, though I think the plates on the sides of the knees were glued with epoxy or something since I don't see any signs of welds on them. Thanks for the compliment BTW.
  6. BH Reaper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    310
    Aug 22, 2010, 9:00 AM - Re: 100% Metal Armor by FullMetalFett #6

    Im going down this path here too. Getting rid of all of my plastic for alloy. But not sure about the gaunts thou? Does any one make the metal gaunts? I remember seeing something a long time ago.....I think.
  7. TD-4608's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    150
    Aug 22, 2010, 11:42 AM - Re: 100% Metal Armor by FullMetalFett #7

    Wickedbeard makes them. Do a search for him or I think his website is http://wickedbeard.viviti.com. BooBoo Fett has some metal gaunts, if I remember something I read here. Anyhow, I have resin gaunts from MoW Studios and I like them just fine. I would like some metal ones, but the cost would make my wife toss me out of the house.
  8. redkraytdragon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,075
    Aug 23, 2010, 6:29 AM - Re: 100% Metal Armor by FullMetalFett #8

    Very nice! Good job!
  9. ripAnew1's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5
    Aug 23, 2010, 8:13 PM - Re: 100% Metal Armor by FullMetalFett #9

    Nice armor, keep it up!
  10. TD-4608's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    150
    Aug 26, 2010, 10:50 PM - Re: 100% Metal Armor by FullMetalFett #10

    Bumpity bumpity bump
  11. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4
    Aug 26, 2010, 11:07 PM - Re: 100% Metal Armor by FullMetalFett #11

    wow, it looks amazing! Do you know how long it took?
  12. TD-4608's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    150
    Aug 27, 2010, 6:37 PM - Re: 100% Metal Armor by FullMetalFett #12

    Quote hernc089 said: View Post
    wow, it looks amazing! Do you know how long it took?
    How long it took to get the armor or how long it took to paint?
  13. webba fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    39
    Sep 2, 2010, 1:21 PM - Re: 100% Metal Armor by FullMetalFett #13

    Hi mate, I'm in the process of painting my own metal armour (I'll upload photos soon). I've spray painted the entire armour yellow then green so that I can make the battle damage look real by sanding and scratching the plates. the effect looks quite good.
    Webby
  14. TheMando's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    27
    Sep 2, 2010, 4:54 PM - Re: 100% Metal Armor by FullMetalFett #14

    im totally new to this and was wondering how much u paid for your aluminum armor and what work is involved after the purchose? is it just painting?
  15. webba fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    39
    Sep 2, 2010, 6:32 PM - Re: 100% Metal Armor by FullMetalFett #15

    I acquired several sheets of 3mm automotive aluminium, downloaded the designs for the armour off this web site. printed them out, cut them out, stuck them on my t-shirt to make sure they fitted. then used them to mark out patterns on the sheets of aluminium. Cut the armour out using a normal jigsaw with a metal cutting blade. filed down the edges to make them smooth. Then started painting them. Not very difficult or expensive.
  16. cjack350's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    118
    Sep 2, 2010, 9:41 PM - Re: 100% Metal Armor by FullMetalFett #16

    TD-4608,

    Again, great looking armor. How did you end up putting the dents in?
  17. TD-4608's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    150
    Sep 3, 2010, 5:59 PM - Re: 100% Metal Armor by FullMetalFett #17

    Quote webba fett said: View Post
    I acquired several sheets of 3mm automotive aluminium, downloaded the designs for the armour off this web site. printed them out, cut them out, stuck them on my t-shirt to make sure they fitted. then used them to mark out patterns on the sheets of aluminium. Cut the armour out using a normal jigsaw with a metal cutting blade. filed down the edges to make them smooth. Then started painting them. Not very difficult or expensive.
    That would be fine if you were just making the chest armor. Although getting the bends just right is definitely not easy. The chest bends horizontally and vertically, so having a machine shope with the proper tools is a must for screen accuracy. As far as metal knees and cod, that is where I think the real difficulty is. The bends would be impossible without the right tools.
  18. TD-4608's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    150
    Sep 3, 2010, 6:01 PM - Re: 100% Metal Armor by FullMetalFett #18

    Quote cjack350 said: View Post
    TD-4608,

    Again, great looking armor. How did you end up putting the dents in?
    Thanks. I cut a profiled block of wood on my bandsaw, then laid out the armor and hammered a centerpunch if different sizes into the spot where I wanted the dents. The wood block kept the curviture in place and had enough give to let the dents through.
  19. cjack350's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    118
    Sep 3, 2010, 11:24 PM - Re: 100% Metal Armor by FullMetalFett #19

    Quote TD-4608 said: View Post
    Thanks. I cut a profiled block of wood on my bandsaw, then laid out the armor and hammered a centerpunch if different sizes into the spot where I wanted the dents. The wood block kept the curviture in place and had enough give to let the dents through.
    I don't suppose you still have the wood eh?

    I figured it was something like that. How much of a pain was it to get the dents in?
  20. TheMando's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    27
    Sep 4, 2010, 1:32 AM - Re: 100% Metal Armor by FullMetalFett #20

    Quote webba fett said: View Post
    I acquired several sheets of 3mm automotive aluminium, downloaded the designs for the armour off this web site. printed them out, cut them out, stuck them on my t-shirt to make sure they fitted. then used them to mark out patterns on the sheets of aluminium. Cut the armour out using a normal jigsaw with a metal cutting blade. filed down the edges to make them smooth. Then started painting them. Not very difficult or expensive.
    sounds pretty simple and would make a great kit. but making the bends and curves right would require alot of heat or maybe hammering it into shape?
  21. TD-4608's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    150
    Sep 4, 2010, 9:31 PM - Re: 100% Metal Armor by FullMetalFett #21

    cjack350,

    No, actually. I used it for firewood! All you really need is something that you can hold against the back of the armor that mimics the curve. If you could find say, a small log? Or maybe the side of an unwanted 5 gallon bucket?

    BTW, are you really in Iraq right now? I'm sure you hear it a lot, but thank you for your service. It means a lot to my family and I.
  22. cjack350's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    118
    Sep 5, 2010, 4:40 AM - Re: 100% Metal Armor by FullMetalFett #22

    Quote TD-4608 said: View Post
    cjack350,

    No, actually. I used it for firewood! All you really need is something that you can hold against the back of the armor that mimics the curve. If you could find say, a small log? Or maybe the side of an unwanted 5 gallon bucket?

    BTW, are you really in Iraq right now? I'm sure you hear it a lot, but thank you for your service. It means a lot to my family and I.
    5 gallon bucket should be easy enough to come by. Thanks for the tip.

    I am really in Iraq right now and you're welcome..I'm one of many. It's always nice to hear a "thank you" from people who appreciate it.

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for metal armor
    By J3T in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Aug 20, 2010, 10:42 PM
  2. Metal armor
    By Suchibu in forum Expanded Universe Bounty Hunters
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep 9, 2009, 8:47 PM
  3. my new metal armor
    By stormtrooperguy in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: May 13, 2009, 9:14 AM
  4. Metal Armor Project
    By clonecollector in forum Prop Building Workshop
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jan 15, 2009, 6:17 PM
  5. My metal armor
    By Darasuum_Verd in forum Expanded Universe Bounty Hunters
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Apr 4, 2007, 1:50 PM